Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok, now delete the 2 entries for ATAPI... and restart.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I appreciate the problem is NOT fully sorted, but having had a slight involvement in the topic, and it was only slight, all the hard work being done by my colleague managed and indeed by you - rdkapp, I want to compliment you both.
I have to admit that I never thought TestDisk or PhotoRec would sort it out.

Quite an achievement Allan - in fact tremendous.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I appreciate the problem is NOT fully sorted, but having had a slight involvement in the topic, and it was only slight, all the hard work being done by my colleague managed and indeed by you - rdkapp, I want to compliment you both.

Thanks, it needed a clean install of 10 in the end but it is mostly working ok now.

rdkapp

"Slight involvement"? I think you were pretty heavily involved. Maybe not for as long, but you have quite a few posts in this thread. So, thanks and compliments have to go your way too!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
"Slight involvement"? I think you were pretty heavily involved. Maybe not for as long, but you have quite a few posts in this thread. So, thanks and compliments have to go your way too!
Yes indeed, you had major input !

rdkapp

Ok, now delete the 2 entries for ATAPI... and restart.
After deleting both ATAPI entries and restarting, here's the screenshot of DM with hidden devices shown:

1591230837406.png

No disc was in the drive on boot. It's gone completely.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok, try it with a disk in the drive at boot.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does it show the contents of the disk in File Explorer now ? Is the drive shown in Disk Management now ?

Also if you boot with the drive empty do they now show an inserted disk after getting into Windows ?

rdkapp

Does it show the contents of the disk in File Explorer now ? Is the drive shown in Disk Management now ?
Yes and Yes, but this was always the case before when I booted with a disc in the drive. The drive letter did change to G: after (I believe) I did the Firmware update.
Also if you boot with the drive empty do they now show an inserted disk after getting into Windows ?
No. Ah, but DM does show the drive as hidden.

1591232016261.png

I wonder if the SATA cable is the problem? I hope not, as I will have to pull out the HDDs to access the SATA ports on the MB. It's a relatively small case (bought in 2005) with no features of efficiency.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well, do you really need 2 Optical drives ?

rdkapp

Well, do you really need 2 Optical drives ?
Haha, well no, especially not on this machine; however, this is my best optical drive and is the one I prefer when burning CDs/DVDs.

I guess I could try to move it to my newer computer and see if it is recognized there and move the SATA optical drive in that one to this computer and see if it will be recognized.

Before doing any swapping, I could also finish up the tutorial on the website you posted a link to earlier.

Did you see my post about the SATA cable?

rdkapp

I think the optical drive currently in the newer computer is an HP which was cannibalized from an older computer.

Anyway, I have to step away for awhile and I know it is getting late there. So, if you can, post with your last comments and I will follow up later tonight or tomorrow.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes I saw your post about the Sata cable. I am somewhat baffled by that error message, if the device is not connected how does Windows even know it's there ?
Ah it says it's not Currently connected !
I suppose it could be an intermittent cable connection.
Probably better to check the cables before doing anything else.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Or buy a few Usb sticks and stop using optical disks ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online