Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rdkapp

Okay, I'm still working on the Win 10 drive. I didn't realize how many programs I had installed on the Data drive. So, I'm going through uninstalling/deleting them and then in a lot of cases, I'm finding newer versions and installing them. In the process, however, I have heard a few clicking noises coming from the hard drive area of the computer. They are just single clicks about every 2 to 3 hours. If the clicks are from a hard drive (I don't know what else it would be?), it has to be from the XP drive (the 250 GB mechanical with 2 partitions), as the Data drive (1 TB mechanical) is currently sitting on top of the computer and the clicks are obviously coming from within the computer case. Although the clicks are not happening often, it has become my top priority for imaging for obvious reasons.

Questions:
1. Can I image the XP drive (including the Boot partition) from within Win 10, or do I have to be logged into XP?
2. I am mostly concerned with the data that is on the XP drive and I do have an XP installation disk. However, I'm thinking it would be better to just image the entire drive (both partitions) rather than just the data. Please give me your input on this?
3. This may relate to #2 above. If the drive fails and I have to restore from the image, will it restore the dual boot environment? On the other hand, if I only image/backup the data and I have to do a clean install of XP on a new drive, how will that affect the dual boot situation? Isn't XP supposed to be the 1st OS installed? Is there a way around this?
4. Do you have a recommended utility for testing HDD health? I have been using HDDScan found here: https://hddscan.com/, but I don't know if there is something better or something that you like and trust. Anyway, I am not going to run anything on the suspected failing drive until after I save the data off of it.
5. Are you familiar with SpinRite software from Gibson Research Corporation? You can find it here: https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm. There is a wealth of other resources and utilities on the website, but it is a bit dated, although it does appear that he keeps updating it. I've read testimonials that SpinRite has been very successful in saving data from failing drives when nothing else could. I've had a few hard drive failures recently (very unusual for me) and I'm considering giving SpinRite a try.

Finally, I discovered that back in 2016, I made an image (I assume with Macrium Reflect as it has a .mrimg extension) of all drives in the computer. I'm think that is when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. The Win 7 boot drive was a 120 GB SSD at that time.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Yes you can Image the XP drive with Macrium running in Windows 10, in fact that is the way I would do it.
2. Image the whole drive.
3. The XP drive will be just as it was when you made the Image, so it would restore the dual-boot.
4. Use the drive maker's utility, most have one.
5. IMO SpinRite is snake oil, expensive snake oil :- https://www.disktuna.com/spinrite-is-not-data-recovery-software/

Yes that would be a Macrium image.

rdkapp

Thanks for the responses.
5. IMO SpinRite is snake oil, expensive snake oil :- https://www.disktuna.com/spinrite-is-not-data-recovery-software/
Wow! I've never seen a bad review about SpinRite. I've even seen a YouTube video where a guy shows SpinRite working. I've been following Steve Gibson off and on for years and have used quite a few of the free utilities on his website, all with success. I haven't had a chance to read the entire article you linked to, but I will. Hopefully, it will recommend an alternative to SpinRite, as I have a couple of failed drives from which I'd like to try to recover data.

rdkapp

I found a couple of different old Macrium images for the XP drive that I want to delete. Can I just delete them in File Explorer, or is it recommended to do it in Macrium?

rdkapp

One of the old Macrium images that I found contains a backup/image of 3 drives. I'd like to keep a few of the files from one of those drives and delete everything else. Is there any way to just restore a few files from the image in Macrium? If not, how do you recommend I handle that? Can I just restore the 1 drive that contains the files I want or do I have to restore the entire image?

In addition, I ran a scan on the XP drive with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. It didn't find any problems, but I am a bit underwhelmed with the reports issued:

1591911083943.png

The SMART information also showed no problems and I couldn't re-size the window to show the entire report, so I had to piece together an image that shows all the data:

1591911780153.png

Being that I was underwhelmed with the above reports, I ran HDDScan and although it didn't find any major problems, it did show some issues and I was able to recreate the exact clicking noise from the drive that I heard, by clicking "Spindown" in the following screenshot:

1591912050390.png

I don't know what that means, nor do I completely understand the reports from HDDScan. Do you know how to read the scans and the SMART report from HDDScan?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Run Macrium and click on Restore on the top menu > Explore Image
in the new window ensure File type: Image Files is selected
Click the down arrow then click on Browse for folder...
Browse to the folder containing the image file you want to use, highlight it then click on Select Folder button
Macrium will populate a window listing all the images in that folder
Tick the box for the image you want to use
tick the box for Enable access to restricted folders
Click OK
A File/Windows explorer window will open showing the image contents
Copy any files you need from that window to a location on a 'real' drive.

The drive is fine. Spindown stopped the motor and then the heads go into standby position which causes the click sound, it's perfectly normal behaviour.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is an easier way, just right-click the image-file and choose Explore image !
then continue from the * in previous post

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When finished click on Restore > Detach Image
tick box then click Detach
the drive letter will disappear

rdkapp

There is an easier way, just right-click the image-file and choose Mount image !
then continue from the * in previous post
Thank you for the "how to." Honestly, I could have done this as the long version is how I was looking through the old images I found. Regarding the shorter ("easier") version, there is no Mount option in the right click menu; however, I have seen that option before. I don't know why there's not right now. Maybe the Macrium install is corrupted as last night I couldn't open any of the Macrium images until I rebooted the computer.
The drive is fine. Spindown stopped the motor and then the heads go into standby position which causes the click sound, it's perfectly normal behaviour.
So, the noise I was hearing the other day was the XP drive spinning down to standby position on its own? I was in Win 10 when I heard it. I only heard it once yesterday outside of HDDScan, but other than that, I'm not hearing it like I did the other day. If that was the drive spinning down to standby position on its own, what causes that? And why do I not hear that from the Data drive (the 1 TB mechanical)?

Anyway, here's the SMART information that shows 1 caution from HDDScan:

1591916104181.png

I did a little research and found that this caution could be either meaningless or meaningful, but it didn't tell me how to determine which. I'm guessing that because there are no other indications of problems either with Data Lifeguard or HDDScan, then it is likely meaningless. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My mistake it should be --> right-click on image file > Explore Image (I corrected it in my previous post)
if that isn't there for you it may have to be set up in the Macrium program, just use the long version for now.

Yes probably the click was the heads parking when the XP drive turned itself off automatically, they do that if not used for a certain length of time.
The clicking you have read about is more or less continuous and that really does mean the drive is on it's way out.

Since the drive passed the WD tests it's working fine, that Smart CRC error is just a tiny glitch.

rdkapp

My mistake it should be --> right-click on image file > Explore Image (I corrected it in my previous post)
if that isn't there for you it may have to be set up in the Macrium program, just use the long version for now.
Ah, and now I remember where I saw the Mount option. It was on an image file that was obviously created with some program other than Macrium. The file had a .vhd extension and the Type was Hard Disk Image File. When I right-clicked on it, I did get a Mount option and it opened up a virtual drive in File Explorer. It ended up being a slightly older version of the same drive(s), which was around the time I was upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 and had purchased another SSD drive. I think the .vhd extension image may have been something created within Win 7. (?) At the time, I was experimenting with image making and didn't fully understand what I was doing, which is probably why I don't recall doing it. :unsure::cool:
Yes probably the click was the heads parking when the XP drive turned itself off automatically, they do that if not used for a certain length of time.
The clicking you have read about is more or less continuous and that really does mean the drive is on it's way out.
So, just as a test, I opened HDDScan and selected the Data drive (the 1 TB mechanical - a Seagate) and selected "Spindown" and the drive was completely silent. Is this because it's a different manufacturer or because the drive is much newer with improved technology?
I'm definitely familiar with the click of death and that is not what I'm hearing. It's been a single click every so often just like I heard when I clicked "Spindown" in HDDScan. I just didn't know whether that single click could turn into something more serious.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you get the 'Explore image' option ?

*.vhd can be virtual machine files, it's a Micro$oft filetype and stands for Virtual Hard Disk :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHD_(file_format)

Well since it's not the 'click of death' I wouldn't worry about it. I think older drives might be noisier in general.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online