Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

rdkapp

Thank you managed! You certainly are up late. I appreciate your help and patience.
Let's do a deeper search and see what we can get from it.

Run TestDisk as before and when you get to Deeper Search run it.
Select each partition in turn and press P to check if files show up, if they do use the left/right arrow keys to change the type from D(eleted) to L(ogical) but if no files are found leave it as D.
Leave the last partition as it is
select Continue and press Enter
You should see a Write option, select it and press Enter.
Referring back to Post #21 of this thread, where I originally did the Deeper Search and posted the images, here is the result from the Deeper Search:
1590118396610.png

Selecting "P" on the 1st, 3rd, & 5th listed partitions resulted in: "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

The 2nd listed partition appears to be the Recovery partition,
We agreed that the 4th listed partition was the Windows OS partition.
The following was the result of selecting "P" on the 6th partition:

1590118861040.png

I will run TestDisk again, but if the same results appear (which I expect), according to your instructions, I will do the following:

1. Leave the 1st, 3rd, & 5th listed partitions marked with "D."
2. I am changing the 2nd and 4th listed partitions to "L."
3. I am leaving the 6th and last listed partition as is, with "*," which indicates "primary bootable."

Question: Why wouldn't I mark the 4th listed partition (Windows OS) with "P" or "*"?

If you could confirm the above (as well as answer my question), I will proceed.
If you don't see Write post a screenshot please showing your newest TestDisk window.
Will do.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Ok, I have reread the thread and now I think you should :-

leave 1 3 and 5 as D
change 2 to *
change 4 and 6 to P

Those correspond with 2 being the boot partition, 4 the OS and 6 is Recovery, the files in them look right and the start and end values make sense too.

So make those changes and then select Continue and post the new TestDisk screenshot please

rdkapp

Ok, I have reread the thread and now I think you should :-

leave 1 3 and 5 as D
change 2 to *
change 4 and 6 to P

Those correspond with 2 being the boot partition, 4 the OS and 6 is Recovery, the files in them look right and the start and end values make sense too.

So make those changes and then select Continue and post the new TestDisk screenshot please
Okay, thanks. Here's the screenshot after making those changes and <Continue>:

1590179481561.png

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Looks good, select Write and press Enter, if it asks for confirmation give it and then if it asks you to restart the computer do so.
Then open Disk Management and post a screenshot please, with the window expanded to show all the details.

rdkapp

Looks good, select Write and if it asks for confirmation give it and then if it asks you restart the computer do so.
Then open Disk Management and post a screenshot please, with the window expanded to show all the details.
Okay, done. I just wanted to be sure you remember that I am running TestDisk and am currently on the working Win10 computer. Here's the screenshot of Disk Management:

1590180417886.png

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Looks good. So shall we try putting the drive back into the other PC and see if it boots to Windows ? Am I right in thinking it would boot up with just that one drive connected before ?

Anyhow try it as the only connected drive first. I doubt it will boot yet but give it a try.

rdkapp

Looks good. So shall we try putting the drive back into the other PC and see if it boots to Windows ? Am I right in thinking it would boot up with just that one drive connected before ?
Sure, will do. I don't know if I ever tried booting with only that drive connected (before corruption), but I don't know why it wouldn't. Like I said earlier in the thread, when I would power the computer on, it would boot natively into Win 10. If I wanted to boot into XP, I had to hit F12 during boot up and then F9 to select an OS. Thus, it seems it would still boot into Win 10 if the XP drive was disconnected. I will try and report back.

These may not mean anything since the drive is connected as a storage drive, but some things I noted in the Disk Management screenshot:

1. E:, F:, and G: are all listed as Primary Partitions, but only F: and G: were marked "P" in TestDisk.
2. I marked E: as "*" (Primary bootable), but on this computer's boot drive, C: is marked with "Boot." If we're being consistent with the drive on this computer, wouldn't we have marked F: with "*" (Primary bootable)?
3. F: is where the Windows OS is; however E: and G: are assigned letters (unlike the boot drive on this computer)
4. E: is listed as "Active"(?)
5. G: does not reflect "Recovery."

Please let me know if any of the above have any meaning in this recovery attempt.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Ok, try it as the only connected drive then.

1. The E partition was made Primary & Bootable when marked with the * in TestDisk (TD). Disk Management (DM) just shows it as Primary though, that's normal.
2. That's because Micro$oft (M$) use Boot to mean the OS drive, unlike everyone else !
3. Yes they have letters, that's ok, normally they don't have letters but it doesn't matter.
4. E is shown as Active which is M$ for 'Bootable'.
5. Recovery is just a name given to the partition, it's absence doesn't matter.

So none of the above are incorrect as far as the drive working is concerned. It is possible it won't boot for other reasons though, so let's see what happens first.

rdkapp

Thank you for the responses to my concerns.

I connected the drive by itself and tried to boot. It was still looping back to the BIOS as before.

I then re-connected the XP drive and tried to boot, but there was no change.

Then, I tried to reboot with both drives connected and selected F12, where I could select which drive to boot from. When I selected the Win 10 drive, it looped again. When I selected the XP drive, it took me to a Recovery screen (which was normal as to the last several times I booted into XP) where I could select F9 to select an OS. I did not proceed any further, as I didn't want CHKDSK to run as it did before. I wasn't sure I could stop CHKDSK, so I didn't want to take that chance.

I am back at the working computer with the corrupted drive connected.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter

rdkapp

I've been thinking since my last post and my inexperienced mind is focusing on the fact that there is no Windows folder on that drive and most, if not all, of the contents of the Windows folder on that drive is contained in the found.000 folder and in the dir0000.chk subfolder.

rdkapp

Unless my colleague managed has any other ideas, I suggest you download this
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/
make a bootable usb using RUFUS
Disconnect that XP drive both power and data
and then follow this
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mbr-windows-guide/

under the heading
4. Fix MBR Issues in Windows Using Boot Repair Disk

However I stress that this is ONLY if my colleague has no suggestions regarding further testdisk to write MBR from there.
Thank you Macboatmaster.

I will await managed's return and further advice, but in the meantime, can I make a bootable CD/DVD with RUFUS instead of a USB drive? I don't have a spare blank USB drive laying around and will have to move/delete data to make one available. I know the instructions say, "(do not burn it on CD/DVD if your PC came with Windows8/10)," but this computer was self-built initially with XP as the OS and is set to boot from the CD/DVD drives. I can make a USB thumb drive available, but it will be easier to use a CD/DVD. Just let me know.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have no idea - that is the honest answer. You would have to try it.
I would not expect it to work

I am also a little unsure of the lack of the windows folder you refer to in post 71.
There is certainly the data use on the 231.9 partition that suggests it is windows, as the free space is 178.97
You will know probably if that caters for Windows as the OS and what else was on the partition.
If you mean it is not named Windows - please refer back to your screenshot.

I suspect myself that the names you list are the previously discussed BT and WS folders.

I have no further suggestions and will now leave the topic - to my good colleague managed

Good luck with it.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I would go ahead and make the Usb stick as Macboatmaster advised, it is worth a try.

I can't see a Windows folder either, if the above doesn't work I think it's time to reinstall 10.

rdkapp

I am also a little unsure of the lack of the windows folder you refer to in post 71.
There is certainly the data use on the 231.9 partition that suggests it is windows, as the free space is 178.97
You will know probably if that caters for Windows as the OS and what else was on the partition.
If you mean it is not named Windows - please refer back to your screenshot.

I suspect myself that the names you list are the previously discussed BT and WS folders.
Here is a screenshot to show what I am talking about:

F Drive File Explorer mod.png

There is no Windows folder, and I know by virtue of TestDisk, that most, if not all, of the contents of what used to be the Windows folder is in the found.000 folder under a subfolder named dir0000.chk. I cannot access the found.000 folder in Windows, but I can look at it in TestDisk, as shown in the following screenshot:

F Drive Found folder mod.png

The above screenshot does not show all of the files and folders in the directory found.000\dir0000.chk, but as you can see, the System32 subfolder is there and all of the other folders appear to be part of what should be a Windows folder. If there is anyway to rename the found.000\dir0000.chk, I wonder if that would work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online