Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Sorry for slow reply I was away from my computer.
You should be able to rename it in Windows/File Explorer
rename dir0000.chk to Windows
then you will have to move the whole new 'Windows' folder into the root of the C drive.
Worth a try.

rdkapp

You should be able to rename it in Windows/File Explorer
rename dir0000.chk to Windows
then you will have to move the whole new 'Windows' folder into the root of the C drive.
Worth a try.
I can't access it in Windows/File Explorer. See the screen shot:

1590197860147.png

I can, however, see it in command prompt.

1590197963174.png

The thing is, I know you can rename a folder, but I'm not sure of the command syntax. Also, should I try renaming the folder before trying the Fix MBR Issues in Windows Using the RUFUS Boot Repair Disk recommended by Macboatmaster? I think I should.

rdkapp

I took it a step further and ran a DIR command to see what it would show.

1590198288324.png

It is interesting that it is only showing dir0000.chk and not any of the other folders shown in TestDisk:

1590198564563.png

There are only a couple of folders and a few dll files inside each of the other chk folders. Then, what is the file00000000.chk file? Just curious, if you know?

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I've no idea what the file00000000.chk file is, hopefully it doesn't really matter.

You need to rename the dir0000.chk folder to Windows
I think this will do it, you need to be in the found.000 folder as in your first screenshot, then do
Code:
ren dir0000.chk Windows
If that worked try this to copy the Windows folder into the root of the C drive
Code:
XCOPY /E Windows C:\
it's safer to do a Copy, if it works you can delete the original Windows folder later, if it fails you still have the original.
There could be problems with permissions with both the above commands, we won't know until you try them.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I know I said I had left the topic as I had nothing more that I could think of to offer, but may I point out that it appears to have only 136192 bytes.
Therefore of course 136.192 KB if that is correct there is NOTHING there.

rdkapp

Renaming the dir0000.chk folder to Windows was successful. It shows up in TestDisk. Copying stalled part way through. See screenshot:

1590200945439.png

I can scroll up this window and see that it copied some (maybe all?) of the files in that folder and then began copying the subfolders alphabetically and then stopped when Access was denied after the Containers folder. Do you know of any way to get past this point, or pick up where it left off?

Also, I don't see a Windows folder in TestDisk or in Windows/File Explorer, so the copy may have failed in total. I wonder if there a way to do this in TestDisk?

rdkapp

I know I said I had left the topic as I had nothing more that I could think of to offer, but may I point out that it appears to have only 136192 bytes.
Therefore of course 136.192 KB if that is correct there is NOTHING there.
Yes, and I noted the file date of 18-Mar-2019 which is over a year prior the occurrence that corrupted the drive.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Try this command to copy
Code:
XCOPY /E /H /Y Windows C:\
I'm logging off now, back around 7pm BST.

Last edited:

rdkapp

Try this command to copy
Code:
XCOPY /E /H /Y Windows C:\
With these switches, it copied a lot more files as reflected in the screen shot (2642 files vs. 265 before), but it hung again at the same point, creating the directory - C:\CSC\v2.0.6. Again, I don't see a Windows folder in TestDisk or in Windows/File Explorer, so the copy may have failed in total. Is there a way to do this in TestDisk? Or, see the link to a workaround below the screen shot.

1590207564430.png

See the following link for a possible workaround:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...de-caching-csc-folder-to-a-new-location-in-wi

I would have tried that workaround, except for the fact that I'm on the working Win 10 computer with the corrupted drive connected as a storage drive, so as to step 2 of the guide, I wasn't sure whether to (i) edit the registry on the working Win 10 (this computer), or (ii) if there is a way to edit the registry on the corrupted Win 10 drive (which I doubt), or (iii) if I should move the drive back to its home computer and use command prompt via UBCD or some other rescue boot device.

Side note: despite the guide saying it is applicable to Win 10, it appears migwiz.exe is no longer available in Win 10 and I could not locate it in the System 32 folder of either Win 10 OS; however, that is only the means of transferring the CSC folder. If the registry edit can remove the permissions or other protections of copying it, why couldn't XCOPY do the job thereafter?

Last edited:

rdkapp

It's time to admit defeat and do a clean install of 10.
I'm just now checking in after a busy day.

I never admit defeat; I merely "change course." ;)

All kidding aside, I truly appreciate all of your's and macboatmaster's help up to this point. I am going to try the workaround that I posted above. If that doesn't work or take me farther toward my goal, I will do the clean install of Win 10. I feel like I can't really mess anything up worse at this point, so why not try. I might learn something.

Are there any pointers you can give me to do a clean install in a dual boot environment with XP? Since I cannot boot into XP currently, I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems dual booting after a clean install of Win 10. Any advice or resources you can point me to will be appreciated.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Connect both drives then install 10 onto the drive that doesn't have XP on it, it will 'see' the XP OS and set up a dual-boot menu.
When you install choose the Custom option then delete all the partitions on the HDD when it asks where you want to install 10, so the whole drive shows as Unallocated space. Windows 10 will set up the partitions it needs automatically after that.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Macboatmaster has advised to run CHKDSK /R on that 'Windows10' drive which will repair any bad sectors, because file00000000.chk can be created after bad sectors are found, this is not a serious problem as most HDD have bad sectors that are marked as such and a spare sector is then used instead.

So when you start the install of 10 at the first screen press Shift + F10 to get a command prompt window then
  1. type C: and press Enter
  2. type CHKDSK /R and press Enter
  3. If it asks to force a dismount type Y and press Enter
CHKDSK will scan the partition, this could take a long time for the OS partition.

repeat steps 2 and 3 above using D: at step 1, then E: F: etc until it says 'The device is not ready'

You can close the command window now and continue the install.
Don't forget to delete all the partitions until there is only Unallocated space.

Last edited:

rdkapp

Macboatmaster has advised to run CHKDSK /R on that 'Windows10' drive which will repair any bad sectors, because file00000000.chk can be created after bad sectors are found, this is not a serious problem as most HDD have bad sectors that are marked as such and a spare sector is then used instead.
Thank you managed and Macboatmaster. I will follow the instructions given in the previous post, however, I remember doing some sort of disk scan before posting here (maybe using UBCD) and it reporting back with no errors or bad sectors, which is why I initially thought the drive was okay and not failing. See the last sentence of post #1:
I don't think the drive is going bad, although it is an SSD. I just think CHKDSK just messed it up. If anyone can help me get this drive back to bootable status, I would greatly appreciate it.
Nevertheless, I will run it again before a clean install of Win 10.

As an update, I took the corrupted drive back to its home system, booted in to the Command prompt using the Win 10 install disk and tried the workaround to copy the CSC folder, and it was successful. Nevertheless, about 2/3s the way through the XCOPY process, it hit another, but different snag on a file in the servicing folder. This time, however, it did copy everything up to that point to a Windows folder in the root directory (in this case, D: ). Since I was so far through it, I decided to skip the servicing folder for the time being and attack the remaining sub-folders a different way, by copying the contents of each remaining sub-folder separately in the found.000/Windows folder. A little more time consuming, but it's coming along and I only have about 10 more sub-folders to go. I will then focus on that servicing folder and try to copy everything in it over. If anything, I'm learning about XCOPY and all the switches available.

Stay tuned.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I edited my previous post just now so please re-read it in case you missed the editing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online