Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you see post #104 by Macboatmaster ? If not please read it if you haven't already started the clean install.

rdkapp

On the black screen after signing in, if you press the Win key + R - does a run window open please and if it does, if you then type cmd, and click OK
does the cmd window open please
No, a run window did not open. For grins, I tried Win key + [all letters] and the only one that did anything was Win key + L which took me back to the login screen.

Let me know pretty quickly if you think of anything else. Otherwise, I will proceed with the install.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can you get to cmd from new task on task manager
Before you proceed I cannot guarantee that this method I have in mind is going to work
So if you wish to go straight from the clean install then please do so.
If my method works and there is anything on that drive worth having it will still be there.
IF HOWEVER you have reached the conclusion that, you have whatever you need - separately on recover or whatever you have done, then perhaps you may wish to go straight for the clean install

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Let me know pretty quickly if you think of anything else. Otherwise, I will proceed with the install.
I had not noticed that last line of your post when I typed my reply.
I regret to say that it is 0020 hrs in UK and I will not be able to complete my suggestions before I sign off, for this session, so perhaps it would be better if you did go straight for clean install.

You have done very well on this especially as the thread is now on 108 posts.
The choice is of course yours, you can either wait for my return about 1800 hrs UK time
Or you can go for clean install

IF you can get to cmd window, then there is a chance my planned approach will work. However as you know from many aspects of your topic there is no guarantee on this.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Read this please
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

we are going to try it using the usb media installation you have
So connect that to the computer
DO NOT BOOT from that USB
It maybe that it will connect and configure whilst signed into windows
If not and presuming that the USB is not the first boot device, and that is the drive that is corrupted where you can sign in but have the black screen, then connect it and then sign into windows

Now go back to cmd prompt and go to the letter of the USB drive
So if cmd prompt opens on
C:\Windows
type
?:
for the letter of the USB drive
If you do not know which letter it is - not having the ability to open explorer then see if diskpart will tell you

Last edited:

rdkapp

Okay, I read the article and found the USB drive letter. It is S:. So, I don't really understand how to use the USB drive media in relation to the article. The article seems to be using the Win 10 install media. Should I also have the Win 10 install disc in the DVD drive?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
rdkapp
I have to go.
It is now 0056 hrs.
If you id the letter of that drive
In cmd prompt as I said you type
If for instance it was F
F:
then your type at the F:\>
dir
then you see the files in the usb drive
one of them will be setup.exe

you type - being now back at the
F:\>
which is automatic having type dir
setup.exe
and press enter
hopefully although your desktop is not there as task manager is and cmd prompt is you should see the windows in the link I sent you
IF it does not work - it was worth a try after all the effort you and indeed my colleague managed have put into the topic

Then you are back to clean installwhich will of course work
DEPENDING on if the problem is the drive itself - if it is clean install will not work

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Re 115 post
see this on link
To Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with USB Installation Media
you have I thought made the USB installation media

IF not what is it you have on the USB please

rdkapp

one of them will be setup.exe

you type - being now back at the
F:\>
setup.exe
and press enter
hopefully although your desktop is not there as task manager is and cmd prompt is you should see the windows in the link I sent you
IF it does not work - it was worth a try after all the effort you and indeed my colleague managed have put into the topic

Then you are back to clean installwhich will of course work
DEPENDING on if the problem is the drive itself - if it is clean install will not work
Got it. I'm looking for the file setup.exe and running it. That's what I didn't understand.

I don't think the problem is the drive itself.

Thanks for your help and staying up.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I cannot resist waiting please let me know how it is going
has the first window opened

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How is progress, I wanted to wait until you have a window showing from the repair - upgrade install but I should really go off now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online