unable to boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alfagold

I have windows 98se. Recently I felt that I needed to reinstall it because of error messages I was getting. The messages did not keep me from using my P.C. but they were annoying and I thought a reinstall might fix them. Part way into the reinstall everything stalled and now I cannot get the computer to boot. It will boot up to selecting #'s 1 to 6, where you choose Normal, Safemode, etc. Nothing happens when choosing any of the options. I have tried the windows se bootup floppy and have tried to reinstall with the windows 98se install disk, but nothing happens, it just sits there. HELP!!!!!!!!!! PLease

Are you going to reinstall the entire os? If so have done an fdisk and reformatted the hard drive? That should take care of it. You probably have a few bad sectors that it is getting hung up on. Reformat the drive and rid your self of the problem. Also you can on the dos c: prompt run scandisk or chkdsk/f to recover lost custers. Then delete the .chk file that they create. Then run defrag
and try to install again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online