1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to browse or IM but connected to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by windhamguy, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windhamguy

windhamguy Thread Starter

I upgraded my OS from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. When all was done and over, updates installed and so on I upgraded the Internet Explorer as well from IE 8 (included in the Win 7 install) to IE 9 (I used to have IE 9 before on Vista). A little bit after that I had to uninstall re-install the VPN client for my work and things started going south.
    Currently after I start the computer the MSN Messenger is not working, the Yahoo messenger is not working, IE, Firefox and Chrome are not working.
    IE just hangs, sometimes is displaying [<endif!>] but it seems to find the sites because I can see the icon of the page changing
    Chrome is not able to connect even to google.com but it let's me down nicely (doesn't hog resources like IE does)
    The Internet connection is fine because I can ping, I can connect to my work's VPN, sometimes even some https pages are briefly working.
    Once I connect to the VPN everything works great.

Now comes the weird part after I connect to the VPN and disconnect, the browsers work, the IM works ... so something gets reset in that process and makes it fine but I have no idea what. (NOTE: IE9 is still barely moving - you request a page go get a snack and maybe it has loaded)

I have looked at numerous threads on different forums and I tried a lot of stuff but nothing seems to solve the problem.
    I tried the netsh winsock, netsh int ... , ipconfig /flushdns, msconfig to boot in safe mode,

I even uninstalled the antivirus, remove the IE9 update from Win7 (reinstalled it), used netstat to see the connections etc. etc.

So my question is what happens when VPN gets started that makes it possible for me to browse even after I disconnect from it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's a pretty expensive upgrade. Especially considering that you didn't do it until almost three years after Windows 7 was released. Why? And from where did you purchase it?

Usually a VPN will block all other networking (resembles a firewall in that regard) when it is running. When you exit from it, it should stop blocking other networking. That seems to be working. Sometimes just having a VPN installed, but not in use, will cause networking trouble. So I think that your question should be, "why is my networking blocked before I use the VPN?".

Maybe some startup program that prepares for a quick start when you access the VPN? Maybe a firewall or security suite that is corrupted or mis-configured but somehow gets "fixed" by the VPN? Maybe something about just having the VPN installed that we won't be able to figure out?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice