1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to browse via firewall/router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by t3ole, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t3ole

t3ole Thread Starter

I have recently set up a home network using a Netgear DG834G router and my Dell Inspirion 510m wireless laptop refuses to connect to the Internet via IE6 whether connected to the router wirelessly or wired. This laptop is used in the office where it works just fine through a proxy server on the wired LAN. When used at home I either switch off the proxy server or use a different profile which does not have a proxy server, but so far no joy.

I have had various bits of advice and it would appear that the settings are right but I would be happy to receive any suggestions as I am desperate to solve this problem - it was the reason I purchased a wireless notebook & router.

2. hewee

hewee

Just guessing here but if I go and change from having the router to not having it I have to renew my IP address.

I have windows 98 and go to run and type in Winipcfg. Then click on reless all. Now click on renew all.
    This is something your have to do each time you change you setup from using your PC with a router and then without one and the other way around.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure what operating system is on the Dell Inspirion 510m but it looks pretty new. If it has XP or Windows2000, the WINIPCFG is not part of the operating system.

To find your IP address, open a cmd prompt
    Then run IPCONFIG /ALL

See if the IP information (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS addresses) are correct for the location.

4. Flail128

Flail128

Start-->Run type cmd hit enter. Then try the ipconfig command. I think you are just typing it in the "Run" box.

Also, after you have run the ipconfig, run a Route Print as well. If the route to the proxy box is persistent, it could cause an issue.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Make sure you are getting assigned IP information that is correct for the location.

At the same cmd prompt try pinging several locations:

1. Ping the router's IP address (e.g. ping 192.168.0.1)
    2. Ping an external site by IP address (e.g. ping 199.181.164.1). If this doesn't work you are not going get much farther.
    3. Ping an external web site by name (e.g. ping www.yahoo.com)

6. t3ole

t3ole Thread Starter

You were right. The values now appear to be correct (same as desktop except IP Address one digit greater).

But still no Internet ..................?

How do you run Route Print (excuse my ignorance)?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you please post all the IP address information
    But what were the results of the PING tests?

8. t3ole

t3ole Thread Starter

All the Ping Tests worked fine, always have done. Was warned that it may be dangerous to give out this info but here goes

Dhcp Enabled Yes
    Autocongfiguration enabled Yes
    IP Address Removed per your request. by cybertech
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers 192.168.0.1

Do you need any other info?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice