1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to change windows XP password because of policy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vergetech, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vergetech

vergetech Thread Starter

Please help

I am trying to change the password on my
    computer - but get a message that says "the password you typed does
    not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum length,
    password complexity and password history requirements"

I have searched and found where these settings are managed in Windows
    XP - it is under Control Panel > Administrative tools > Local security
    policy > Security settings > Account Policies > Password Policy

The Password Policies are all set to the minimum (zeros and disabled)
    - but still I get the error when I try and change the password. I have
    even tried setting the password to something that will meet the
    complexity, length and history requirements and still I get the error

Regards

2. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    A lot depends upon if your computer is a member of a workgroup or domain. I copied this from Windows Help and Support (Start\Help and Support) Used "change password" as the search query. Lots of results.

This is for screenshot is of result for "Change password for User"

[​IMG]

3. valis

valis Moderator

welcome to TSG. Is this a work pc?

Generally you will need to heed the 3 of 4 rule; a capital, a number, a lower case, and/or a special character. For a generic password, I've used N0th!ng, as it has all 4, and it fairly easy to remember.

That said, if it's a work pc, check with your IT dept to make sure you are adhering to company protocol.

4. vergetech

vergetech Thread Starter

This is a home PC. I have set up different windows user accounts - for use by me and my kids. I therefore believe that the policies around workgroup and/or domain passwords will not apply - correct?

I am still having the problem - I have even tried "complex" passwords - but have still not been able to change the password. It seems that there is a problem with not being allowed to change the password - and not necessarily that password does not meet the requirements - I think error message is an error as well. I think this because even if I use a complex password it does not allow me to change it

Regards

5. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    OK, let's try this. Assuming you are the Computer Administrator...maybe you can find a solution.

1. Open Control Panel and select User Accounts.
    2. In the Pick a Task Window, click on Change an account.
    3. Pick an account to change (Computer Administrator)
    4. Research all of the information provided in the What do you want to change about your account? window.

6. vergetech

vergetech Thread Starter

Thank you for you advice

I had a look at the information provided in Windows before my post. I have also determined how the complexity of passwords are controlled - and found the settings - and changed them - but I am still not allowed to change my password.

My problem is that Windows does not allow me to change my password - and the settings that control this are set to allow it

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

I heard someone mention that if complexity is turned on, the 3rd or 4th character needs to be a number or a symbol. The maximum length is 14. Then there is the password history. It holds a certain number of your past passwords, so you cannot reuse them.

8. vergetech

vergetech Thread Starter

I still have this problem - and would regard the person who provides the answer as a miracle worker !

I thought what may help is for me to show what my settings look like - so that someone else can maybe point out how theirs differ. I would like to enable the less strict password policy.

The settings in the screenshot are reached by going to Control Panel > Administrative tools > Local security
    policy > Security settings > Account Policies > Password Policy

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!