Solved Unable to complete updates 1803 and 1809

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KoRRoDEAD

Hello,

I bought my new desktop in late 2018, it has been working perfectly but this past month or so, I have been plagued with a persistent annoyance which I have been trying to fix via googling the issue but the various fixes have made no perceivable difference.

The short of it is, my computer wants to update, it tells me every hour to restart as it has pending updates. However, during restart, it gets to 100% configuring updates, restarts, says it may restart several times, restarts again and says something along the lines of "returning to your previous configuration"

here is a screenshot of my update history

Any suggestions on what i can try before i reinstall windows?

Thanks in advance!

-KoRRoDEAD-

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 12
RAM: 16287 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, -1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (104 GB Free); D: 2779 GB (2434 GB Free); E: 15 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 844C
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Type WINVER in the search box, then press the Enter key.
When the small window appears, advise us what the exact "Version" and "OS Build" number is.

One reason why you're probably having issues with Windows 10 updates is because you have Norton Internet Security installed.
Windows 10 doesn't do well with some third-party antivirus apps, and issues with Windows updates is one of them.
You probably should get rid of it and stick with its built-in Windows Defender antivirus app.

---------------------------------------------------------------

KoRRoDEAD

Type WINVER in the search box, then press the Enter key.
When the small window appears, advise us what the exact "Version" and "OS Build" number is.

One reason why you're probably having issues with Windows 10 updates is because you have Norton Internet Security installed.
Windows 10 doesn't do well with some third-party antivirus apps, and issues with Windows updates is one of them.
You probably should get rid of it and stick with its built-in Windows Defender antivirus app.

It says Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.726)

And thanks, i'm not a huge advocate of Norton i've just been with them since i was a teen and i stick to what i know.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your computer is out of date by 2 bi-annual upgrades - 1803 and 1809.
And the 1903 bi-annual upgrade will be released next month.

1809 has turned out to be the buggiest of the bi-annual upgrades.
It has caused grief for a lot of people, so you might want to stick with 1709 for now, or try to upgrade to 1803.

----------------------------------------------------------------

KoRRoDEAD

Okay, do you know if there's any way to prevent it from reminding me to update?

It's quite disruptive having it remind me every hour with a pop-up overlay which only gives me the option to delay it by another hour.

Also, I'm not confident that once the 1903 update releases that it will actually update if it's struggling with this one.

Would you advise doing a fresh install of windows for the time being?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I use the "Pro" version instead of the "Home" version of Windows 10 so I can have control over which updates get installed and when they get installed.
I also remove most of the "bloatware" that comes as part of it, which helps greatly in it not having update issues.
I also stick with its built-in antivirus app for the same reason.
When the 1809 upgrade was released in October 2018, my Dell computers made the upgrade from 1803 to 1809 without any issues.
All I had to do was re-do some personalized settings and get rid of the new "bloatware" apps.

If you know how to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit and get a fresh start with your HP computer, that may be your best option.
One thing a clean install will do is get rid of all the debris and issues it's currently having.
It's your choice whether to clean install version 1803 or version 1809.

----------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online