1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unable to connect, can't reach server.

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by josesolis0122, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. josesolis0122

josesolis0122 Thread Starter

I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 on a MacBook Air.
    Whenever I try to connect to a website (apart from Google, Facebook, Apple support) it shows the error message "Unable to connect"(Firefox) "Safari Can't Connect to the Server"(Safari). It is not a network problem because every other device works just fine. I've tried changing DNS to Google's, deactivating IPv6, Renewing DHCP lease, rebooting Mac, deleting cookies, uninstalling Avast Antivirus, disabling any VPNs, getting a new IP, et cetera. NOTHING HAS WORKED.
    Please help me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it were Windows my top suspect would be a firewall mis-configured or corrupted. I don't know if that could apply to MAC OS or to your system in particular.

3. josesolis0122

If that was the case, how do I completely reset the firewall. I'm desperate, I'm about to completely reset the Mac. Please help me

4. josesolis0122

Update: I started the Mac on safe mode and there's no problem at all, when turned on again in normal mode the problem reappears

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I moved your thread from Networking to the Apple Mac forum in the belief that help is more likely here. Good luck.

6. josesolis0122

Thanks

7. josesolis0122

Ok, I uninstalled avast antivirus a few weeks ago just by trashing it.
    Apparently the avast Web shield was causing my problems so I needed to install avast again and use the uninstall button. If you just trash it it doesn't uninstall completely. :):):)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know Mac, but that certainly seems right. That ol' uninstall is there for a reason. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice