1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to Digital Video Recorder on DDNS SVC through Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leonistic, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leonistic

leonistic Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am current trying to configure the network settings on a standalone DVR.

I have been doing trial and error all day long to get a 'SUCCESS' on a 'check' while entering the DDNS SVC information.
    After figuring out that the IP Configuration & Allocation of the Network in the router was messed up, I finally got the DDNS SVC to give me a 'SUCCESS' reading. Thus, enabling me to remotely access the digital video recorder via a Internet Browser.

Here's the catch ;

I am only able to access the DVR from the PC that has the configuration of the network. (example 10.0.0.1)
    and the settings on the DVR have been set to :

IP : 10.0.0.5
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 10.0.0.1
    DNS : 10.0.0.1
    Port of device is set to 20410.

So entering http://10.0.0.5:20410 directs me to the webclient that enables me to remotely access the device.

Now here's the problem. I want to remotely access it through ANY PC from the internet and by entering the above can't seem to do the job. Please do give any advice on what I've done wrong and what can be done to correct it.

Your help on this matter is most appreciated,

Yours sincerely,
    leonistic

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To access from the internet you have to use your public IP address. And, on the router you need to forward the needed port(s) to the device's private IP address.

3. leonistic

leonistic Thread Starter

Would you care to elaborate more on this issue? Public IP Address?
    As this is a standalone DVR device, it does not require any PC and in turn, not enabling me to actually see what the actual IP is.

I have to manually configure it through the in-built system of the standalone DVR.
    If by what you have just mentioned, will these settings enable me to remote access it via a webclient?

IP : 10.0.0.5 (change this part to the ext ip. of the PC the router is connected to)
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 10.0.0.1
    DNS : 10.0.0.1
    Port of device is set to 20410.

However, what I really want is to use the DDNS SVC to work with the webclient. by entering http://1234.neodhs.com:port that directs me to the web remote page. Would it work if I get the correct settings changed?

Your help on this issue is most appreciated....

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

So to confirm. It appears you are using some sort of dynamic DNS service. Please confirm.

In addition, where are you testing your domain name registration? Are you testing it inside of your network or outside of it? If you are testing it inside your network, chances are really good that your router does not support loopback. In this situation, you have to actually have a different internet service/circuit to test your setup. Or buy a router which supports loopback.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using your public IP address, whether by typing it directly or indirectly by using your DDNS URL, gets you to your router. By default the router will simply block whatever port you specify. So on the router you have to forward that port to the desired device (10.0.0.5 by what you said above). portforward.com may help you do this part.

6. leonistic

leonistic Thread Starter

Hi guys, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the device requires some sort of DDNS SVC for it to work as a 'url' to remotely web access it. I have tried a registration with DynDNS.org, it directs me to the router's page instead. I am testing it inside my network, only by typing in the exact address of what i have set to the device (10.0.0.5:20410) would then direct me to the remote access view page. When I type in the dynDNS redirection, in and outside of my LAN, it directs me to the router's settings page instead. I have however, already did a port forward for 20408, 20409 and 20410. Still no luck.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

So to be sure. Did you create an account on DynDNS and selected your hostname? Do you have something on your network which is updating DynDNS with your public IP address? Have you tested your setup outside of your network?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using "dynDNS_address" (which will usually get you to your router's login page) or "dynDNS_address:20408" (you have to provide the port number)?

9. leonistic

leonistic Thread Starter

Hey,
    Yes I created an account with DynDNS and selected the hostname. I also configured the hostname and password onto the DVR Device itself. I configured the PC's Ext. IP for the hostname on dyndns, and when i type in http://example.dyndns.org, it directs me to the router's page instead. Which isnt what I want.. I want to access the DVR.

Terrynet @ err.. As above, it directed me to my router's page instead of the web client remote access of the DVR.

I am guessing that I am either doing the portforward wrongly, or the DNS that I configured on the DVR is wrong, or it's because I am currently testing it in an office and the DVR is not able to support it's network topology.. Er, forgot the actual name for this topology.. Threw everything back into school. hah, But here's a brief description.

1 Server to router, to 8 port switch hub, to another router (DVR connected here).

Anyways, for a better understanding. I took screenshots of my current router settings. Please have a look and tell me if there's any changes that could be made to assist me into successfully accessing the DVR remotely.

http://photobucket.com/richfieldtech

Sincerest thanks to all you guys.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you did not forward port 80 that's exactly what should happen. If you forwarded port 80 you may still get that; I had one router that would let me forward port 80 but then ignored it; I had to use a different port.

11. leonistic

leonistic Thread Starter

I'm sorry for the late reply.

There is actually a DDNS SVC inbuilt to the DVR that's recommended and optimized for this particular DVR. I brought the whole thing back to my home to test it out and it worked. However, it doesn't work in my office. I'm sure the settings and configuration of both the routers in my home and my office are the same. Wow, this is giving me a huge headache.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice