Unable to Connect to Internet using Router! Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HCB4

Hi guys, asking for help another time.

Recently there was a thunderstorm around my area. I turned off all the computers in the LAN, thinking it was the right thing to do.

Afterwards, when the storm had passed, I found out the Internet wasn't working.

If I connect the modem directly to the computer, the connection works fine, but if I use the router, the internet does not work.

The router is: D-Link DL-514 and has given us no problems B4 this.

I have absolutely no idea why the internet is not working. When I connect thru the router, it shows me as connected to the internet, and I can still share files through the router, however, I can not connect to IE, Outlook or MSN Messenger etc.

Should I reset the router? I really don't know what to do! Help!

since you have direct connection with the modem, i would think you need to tripple check your network especially because you powerdown the workstations.
Start with the server. Make sure all he setting are right. Do it as if your are setting up for teh first time. gl.

HCB4

I think that my settings are Ok, what should I really focus on?

When checking my router settings, through the status bar, and log, I noticed that this 'host unreachable' occured repeatedly.

I can ping myself, and other computers on the LAN, but not external websites. Help!

NOTE: I know nothing when it comes to CPU regarding networking, so please, nothing too complicated.

Try turning off the pc's, the router and the modem ( you may have to unplug the modem and router) . . after 30 seconds, turn on the modem . . let the lights stabilize, turn on the router, then turn on one pc to see if it gets an ip address.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi HCB4

Try simpswr's suggestion first since it is faster. ;)

Try disconnecting the router from the power source, and turn off the modem and your computer for 15 minutes.

Then restart in this order,
Plug-in the modem give it a minute to synchronize.
Plug-in the router
Restart the computer.

See if your Internet Connection is restored.

A few links for the DSL Reports forum:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/nse...ark&advanced=1&119=1&p=10&o=r&q=D-Link+DL-514

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11000810

Let us know what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online