1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to many websites without a proxy

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TSF1119, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSF1119

TSF1119 Thread Starter

Hello, I am new and looking for some help with a very annoying and persistent issue I have been experiencing as of late. First of all, i have tried this on 3 PCs on the same home wireless network, tried it wired with each PC seperately, and so forth. One PC runs Vista(my primary one), the other two run Win7. Have flushed and restarted the dns, as well as trying opendns and googledns services, tried clearing the browser caches on IE, Firefox, Chrome, nothing makes any difference. What i am experiencing is that a good proportion of sites(around 30-60%, it varies) will not load at all without using a proxy, I have returned home to the UK for the holidays after several months in the US, and noticed this problem has been active now since Christmas day. My first 2 days at home the internet was totally normal and this issue was not present, then it started suddenly with no action from myself. Traceroutes to sites reveal a timeout but the start hop for the timeouts varies from site to site. I have been sure to select a wide cross section of sites to try. Resetting the router seems to generate somewhat of a lucky dip of sites i can connect to, so if i cannot connect to a site and do not wish to use a proxy, i reset the router usually several times until the specific site finally works. My connection speed is stable at 2.2MB/S download and 0.2-0.4 upload, which is the maximum for my rural exchange. Speed is no issue unless i try to stream HD or make large downloads. My ISP Is BT, their indian call center staff denied there was any issue with my line, and refused to provide me with a UK technical support number to pursue the issue. I know it cannot be an insurmountable problem as using a proxy completely eliminates the issue, but i am unwilling to depend on it indefinitely. I'll try and provide any additional information you may need for troubleshooting purposes, I hope someone can help. Thanks!

2. TSF1119

TSF1119 Thread Starter

Not sure where my Paragraphs went.. Apologies for wall of text but I am unable to fix it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice