1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unable to connect to my MODEM via IP Address for setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rick2003ar, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rick2003ar

rick2003ar Thread Starter

I can't log into my MODEM. I was able to set it up once using the default gateway IP address about a week ago. Then my kids unplugged it and something changed when plugged back in. When I try to log into my modem using the IP address it just gives me a web page saying its unable to connect. My internet works fine, I am able to ping the address and it replies with no data loss, I can trace route to it, I can release and renew the IP address DHCP server. I am just unable to bring up the webpage to login. I have turned off my firewall (windows firewall). I am just at a loss on what to try next. I want to turn on my Wi-Fi and such, essentially administer my router for my computer. I have did a hard reset, held the button for the recommended 15 seconds with both power on and power off but no change. The modem is a Technicolor TC8717T.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8189 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 55 GB (17 GB Free); E: 596 GB (587 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DX48BT2
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

2. rick2003ar

Edit: I ran the Microsoft Internet troubleshooter and I used the IP address instead of the domain name and it said "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection". So it seems something within the router is refusing to let me connect, but still acting in the MODEM role.

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Click on Start menu
    Type in cmd
    Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
    Once you are at command promt type the following exactly as typed
    ipconfig /all > network_info.txt
    This creates the file, network_info.txt, in the current folder
    Upload the file to your next reply

4. rick2003ar

I wasn't able to find the text file when I completed the operation so I took a screen shot and have uploaded it. Thank you for helping me, I'm stumped on this one.

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The TC8717T is a modem/router combination unit. According to your ipconfig /all shown in the recent post it is operating as a modem only, completely bypassing the router part. Whether you did something to put it into that mode or whether the device is defective I do not know.

If it's yours I advise trying to reset it to factory defaults.

If it's your ISP's I advise contacting them for help.

6. rick2003ar

I own it, I bought one because I was tired of paying the 17 dollars a month for rental. Is it possible my ISP was able to disable the router portion? Just for my knowledge, how can you tell its operating as a Modem only? I suspected this when I tried to connect my laptop to the other ports and it wouldn't let me have internet access.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First clue was your IPv4 address is Public. It would be, or should be, Private if assigned by a router.

Second clue was your IPv6 address is Public. And, being a Moderator here, I can see that it is the one you were using to post.

Perhaps. I've used my own modem and router (separate units) for all but the first couple months of the 15 years I've had Mediacom cable. However, my neighbor has been renting a modem from them and using her own router. A year or two ago Mediacom sent her a Technicolor modem/router saying that their imminent upgrade would make the older modem obsolete, and started charging her for "Wi-Fi" in addition to the modem charge. She's not exactly a tech guru, so I was acting as her tech support. She called them to say she did not want the Wi-Fi, but wanted to use her own router. They claimed to do something over the internet and told her the Wi-Fi was disabled. It wasn't (it was using the same channel as her router), so I logged into it and disabled the wireless.

The point of that rambling barely relevant paragraph is that Mediacom has the ability to access the modem/router and make changes. If you recently made the cost saving change somebody there could have misunderstood and thought that you were rejecting the rental of the router part but still renting the modem. Painful as it is you probably need to call them to see if they can re-enable the modem part. Also check your bill for the next couple months to make sure you've not still paying part of that $17.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's baloney! :) Read posts # 5 and # 7.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    My bad, I misread the information. Thanks

10. rick2003ar

I have Mediacomm as well. I was thinking at this point I should probably call them and see if they did something to my configuration. I know I told them I wanted the MoCa disabled and I'm not sure if this may have been a side effect. My technician that took it I believe said that it was only the Moca that would be affected but the lady I spoke to at Mediacomm may have misunderstood. The tech also said this is the same exact router they use for some installations, so it might be possible.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No problem. We have each other's back here. Even if it feels kinda stabbed sometimes! :D

Edit: this was meant for dckeks.

rick2003ar likes this.
  12. rick2003ar

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say, if it fixes it, I'll make sure to post.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's "MoCa disabled"? I haven't heard/read that phrase before.

14. rick2003ar

Thank you both for helping, I'm just glad to have the help, for three days I've been bashing my head against a wall on whats going on. I "piddle" in networking as a system administrator for aircraft control and I work with Unix. I have taken courses in NET+ and have never come across this before. But the NET+ was back in 2006, before MoCa and other items, and the STARS (Standard Terminal Automation Replacement System), is based on some old Sun Solaris networking, nothing like my home computer lol.

15. rick2003ar

MoCa is Multimedia of Coax, its a new type of networking using Coax throughout a house. Devices can now network using existing coax instead of twisted pair.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice