Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to connect to Net via WiFi

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bigjimmyb 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My neighbour has a problem which I've tried to help with, but have to say am stumped....

He is running a cable modem into a wireless router (Belkin), but since changing ink cartridges on the printer (maybe a coincidence) has lost his internet connection.

The PC (desktop running Xp) connects to the network, but there is no internet connection. I've been there with my laptop and all is well.

It also seems that every time you try to do something with network connections etc, the PC freezes the window/app and you have to reboot/log off and on.

I've never seen this before, but am thiniking pehaps the network card is done for.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
BJB

#2 ·
Can't think of any reason changing the ink cartridges should effect the internet connection.

If I understand the problem:

Cable Modem --------> Belkin Router ---------> Desktop
No internet connection for the desktop.

Are you sure the Desktop is connecting to the Belkin? Can he access the Belkin's user interface from the desktop? If he can acccess the Belkin, then the card and cable is probably OK.

Did he try connecting directly to the cable modem to see if that works?

If you connected wireless, try connecting your laptop by the same ethernet cable to see if that works?

Could you supply the followong information for the desktop?

Taken from a JohnWill post.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#3 ·
You understand the set-up, yes.

Haven't tried connecting directly to modem, we'll do that. Did try going via LAN cable to Belkin, was initially successful, but then had same issue.

ISP have checked line etc and advise no issues on their side.

I will try hard-wiring Desktop and Laptop to Modem and Router, and will come back you with IPConfig data.

Thanks for your reply/help

BJB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.