1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yofra, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yofra

yofra Thread Starter

I have been trying to connect to my university's network, but I am unable. I USED to be able, but now something changed and I can't. I am pretty sure that my Ethernet card is working properly, since when I plug in the cord I get a blinking green light, and it says that the driver is installed and working properly. Plus, when I run IPCONFIG, it gives me an IP Address and Subnet Mask. However, it does NOT give me either a Connection-Specific DNS Suffix nor a Default Gateway. I checked, and I am pretty sure that I have no firewalls (including the built-on XP one) running. Any idea why I can get an IP address and not connect to the network? My computer is registered with the university, and I used to be able to get online.
    Thank you!!!!

2. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

Can you connect to any other site on the Internet? If you can the problem is probably not with your side of the connection.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So what changed since you USED to connect? Significant computer change; different location; etc.?

Are you getting an IP address from the network's Dhcp server, or are you getting an APIPA (169.254.x.y) and mask (255.255.0.0)?

Are you sure that a blinking light means a good cable and good connection (most indicators are solid)?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice