1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to connect to preferred wireless network windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nuwanju, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuwanju

nuwanju Thread Starter

unable to connect to preferred wireless network - windows xp

When I boot my laptop (Toshiba Salellite C600) ,It connects to the wireless connection automatically using the security key,,but after few minutes it disconnects displays an error (unable to connect to preferred wireless network) .and it doesn't even detect the wireless network after that.
    But if I restart the laptop some times i get the wireless connection back / in some cases i use the following command (>netsh winsock reset catalog) in the command prompt and restart.

I also updated my XP with the service pack 3 and uninstalled the wireless network card and re-installed.,but it didnt help.

This happened after I expired my free version of Avast virus guard.I use AVG as my virus guard

But I still get this error on and on...please help

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

nuwanju...I'm not an expert on network cards, but, when the internet connection shuts down, does the network card still show up in Device Manager? Is there a yellow question mark or a red x there?

Maybe something is wrong with the motherboard connection to the network card. I was thinking maybe it could be overheating? Just an idea...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice