1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to the internet from my HP laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TreyDawg95, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TreyDawg95

TreyDawg95 Thread Starter

Hello I own a HP pavilion dv7 laptop and I'm having trouble connecting to my home connection. My laptop connects to other connections but my desktop PC and gaming console are connecting to the "broken" internet just fine so I'm assuming it's the laptop.

I've tried unplugging the modem/router for minutes, uninstalling/reinstalling the network adapter device ((It now keeps coming up as "unidentified network" instead of the original name for the connection; Should I be concerned??)), and even just stopped using the laptop for a few days to see if somehow that would fix it.

I've troubleshot it and it says theres a problem with my access point/router but I don't see how that's the problem if everything else is working fine. I've spent 3 hours looking into solutions to this problem and I've come accross that the router may not be giving the laptop an IP to connect too but I'm still not sure how to fix this issue or if it's another issue all together.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Trey.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the machine?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. TreyDawg95

I use windows firewall on my laptop and commodo firewall on my PC.

http://pastebin.com/ULLT2kUh

This is the cmd prompt with the info. I have APIPA I believe.

I'm downloading Wifi-inspector now and will update my post with the screenshot when I can.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

5. TreyDawg95

The network adapter was outdated. I updated it and retried my connection but it still did not work.

Heres a screenshot of the wifi inspector.

http://i45.tinypic.com/vwz98o.png

My main network that I want to connect to is "Rozcos-Pc" and I'm using my friends network of "myqwest3625"

Edit: So somehow I ended up without an APIP IP address and it would connect on and off (still couldnt connect to the internet though, very short times of connection.) I rebooted my laptop to see if it would stay with an APIP address and it did.

I'm assuming my laptop is just having trouble connecting to the DHCP server on the router which is why I'm being given an automated IP and why I can't connect properly when it does not assign me an APIP.. Is there anything that will fix this or am I not even close on what the problem is? Anything helps. Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't see anything there that should be causing a problem.

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful there is a good chance that you can just re-enable encryption and reconnect.

7. TreyDawg95

It didn't work. :(

Is there anything else I can try?

Edit: Something weird happened. I did a test and it seems that when I unplug the charger from the laptop the laptop can connect to websites and such.

Although sometimes it goes back to "unidentified network" and loses the connection and it does have trouble keeping the connection over long periods of time.

Is it the charger? This is really confusing me.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, that opens up a lot of possibilities. You'll have to experiment.

The first possibility, of course, is that what you observed may be mere coincidence. But assume that the charger has something to do with it.

It could be interference from the "brick" or from the cord. So try with those close to the antenna in the path from the router and the opposite--stretched as far from the laptop as possible and on the opposite side of the laptop from the router.

And could be some interference generated in the interior of the laptop any time the battery is actually charging.

9. TreyDawg95

Sorry it's been so long but I've been busy.

I made some calls and I found out it's not a problem with the router, modem, or connection. It's a problem with the laptop itself.

An update had happened before it started acting weird, and the person I had talked to said it was an issue in the HP configuration.

How do I access this and can any one give me any tips/walkthroughs on how to fix the issue?

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any security programs like Norton or McAfee?

11. TreyDawg95

I only have MWB on my laptop.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice