Unable to connect to wireless network. "Internet connection is too slow."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brandofo

I have Comcast cable internet in Atlanta and use a Motorola SB6121 modem and a Linksys wireless router. The wireless network has been up and running for over a year and I have never had any problems with it and I have never made any changes to it after the initial setup. I connect to the wireless network using two smart phones and an Apple laptop. I live in an apartment so the signal strength is always high and I am never more than one room away from the wireless router.

It was working fine one night like always and then in the morning I was unable to connect to the wireless network. I can still access the internet via wired ethernet cable so I know the internet is online and it is downloading at full speed. I can access the internet via wired connection directly from the modem to the computer. I can also access the internet via wired connection from the modem to the router to the computer. Comcast shows no problems with the connection on their end.

I have purchased all new ethernet cables so I know the cables aren't the problem so I figured the wireless router might have a problem. I bought a new wireless router (Apple Airport Express) and created a new wireless network. I can see the network name is available and it has full signal strength with WPA2 encryption just like it had always been with the old router.

When I try to connect from my phone or laptop it will say "Unable to obtain IP address" and "Network disabled because the internet connection is slow." I can't connect to the wireless network from any of my devices, but all of my devices are able to connect to any other wireless network. This has been going on for about four days now. The router is in an open area and is not near any other devices or cables other than what is required.

I am sure that the encryption type is correct and my password is correct. My laptop shows that the internet connection from the modem is "green" and the Airport Express has created a wireless network that is "green" so everything is online.

I consider myself smarter than the average user so I have made sure that all the network settings are correct (DHCP, WPA2 encryption). Process of elimination tells me that the only thing that could be the problem now is the modem.

Is there something I am missing? Do I really need to try buying a new modem or could it be a problem with Comcast? Why would it work fine for so long and now I can't connect to the wireless network from any device even after replacing the ethernet cables and the wireless router? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

etaf

Wayne
if the router is working with a cable connection, then its unlikely to be the modem , unless thats also a router and you are using it for DHCP

you say the modem is connected by cable to the router
and any device connected to the router by cable works perfectly - is that correct

on the old router - have you removed the wireless security and see if you can connect ?

carried out a full power cycle - see below

also it would be worth making a note of the router configuration and do a factory reset on the router and re setup and try again

with a PC connected by a cable direct to the modem can we see an ipconfig /all
now do a power cycle and connect the router
with a PC connected by a cable direct to the router can we see an ipconfig /all

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

For Windows 8
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes. We have found in some instances you need to wait at least 15 minutes
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

brandofo

I do not have a PC. My only computer is an Apple laptop. I do not know if I can do IP Config on a Mac.

-----
"you say the modem is connected by cable to the router
and any device connected to the router by cable works perfectly - is that correct"
-----
This is correct. I am using the internet right now on my Apple laptop which is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable and the router is connected to the modem via ethernet cable. The internet works fine and is running at full speed.

-----
"on the old router - have you removed the wireless security and see if you can connect ?
-----
I have removed the wireless security and tried to connect but it still has the same problem. I am unable to connect to the wireless network from any device even when there is no password and no wireless security.

I have done several power cycles but I will do one where I wait 15 minutes or more. I will report back after that.

If needed I will get a PC laptop from a friend in order to run an IP config.

etaf

Wayne
This is correct. I am using the internet right now on my Apple laptop which is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable and the router is connected to the modem via ethernet cable. The internet works fine and is running at full speed.
so that sort of shows the modem is all working and its a wireless issue

whats the make and exact model of the modem and the router

i assume it is the same for the apple airport express

it works when connected to the Mac by cable all OK

which does seem strange

your correct ipconfig /all is for windows

ifconfig is for mac

If needed I will get a PC laptop from a friend in order to run an IP config.
it maybe worth trying , if its no trouble as we can also test the wireless
But i can try with the mac

also as i'm on UK timezone will be leaving soon, so other my help who also know mac better than I , although having worked a couple last few days learning quickly

for testing wireless on a mac
try
Apple Mac OS
If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online