1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Soblessed1967, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soblessed1967

Soblessed1967 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before-i'm not "techy" so I don't really know all the correct terms to do a search by.

I have a "new to me" laptop. Its a Dell Inspirion 9300. I am unable to log on to the wireless network. I see that there's an excellent connection and my computer is telling me that I am connected but when I try to access the internet, via Chrome, I get nada. I get a message telling me that the DNS look up failed, I'm using Windows XP, have Norton Internet Security and am using the Wise 365 Registry Cleaner (it was acting funky before I downloaded the registry cleaner). Is there anything else I need to include? I know the computer's old, but I never had a problem accessing the internet before.

Thanks in advance!
    Stacey

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With this computer and this wireless network?

Can you connect and communicate via ethernet?

Do you have Service Pack 3? Is it a recent install of XP or are you also dealing with somebody else's garbage?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Soblessed1967

With this computer and this wireless network? Yes

Can you connect and communicate via ethernet? Don't know. I don't think I have a ethernet cord.

Do you have Service Pack 3? Is it a recent install of XP or are you also dealing with somebody else's garbage? It's my mom's old computer and she really tried to give it to me in the best working condition-as much as she knew how anyway.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool. Don't know how to do this. I'm on my PC since I can't log on with my laptop..

Also show ...Do I have to do the previous step before I do this?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use the computer with internet access for anything requiring the internet and copy files between computers using removable media (CD, USB flash drive, etc.).

5. Soblessed1967

I knew this was going to be hard. I don't have a USB flash drive and my laptop has a DVD player, but not a burner so I don't know of any other way to get the information you need onto my pc from my laptop.:mad: Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't have a USB flash drive and don't have a spare ethernet cable. Shame, shame, shame! :)

Seriously, small USB flash drives are inexpensive, and useful, useful, useful.

Main things for me to know about the Xirrus output is the type of encryption you are using, the signal strength, and if any other strong networks are using the same or close channel.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site (I'm assuming you are using an integrated adapter).

What IP address do you get with the ipconfig /all?

Uninstall Norton and run the Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing.

7. Soblessed1967

You don't have a USB flash drive and don't have a spare ethernet cable. Shame, shame, shame! :eek:

Seriously, small USB flash drives are inexpensive, and useful, useful, useful. I know. I'll get on it. I just got this laptop so I dont' know all I need to have.

Main things for me to know about the Xirrus output is the type of encryption you are using, the signal strength, and if any other strong networks are using the same or close channel. Where do I look to find this?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site (I'm assuming you are using an integrated adapter). *blink blink blink* Umm, I think I have the latest drivers. I have no idea.

What IP address do you get with the ipconfig /all? Since I didn't have a cd or usb flash drive, I took a pic w/ my iPAD. Do you have what you need now?

Uninstall Norton and run the Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      289.2 KB
      Views:
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a good IP configuration so my top suspect is Norton.

9. Soblessed1967

So I should uninstall it? What do I do for an antivirus?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First after uninstalling you test. Then you decide whether you want to reinstall Norton; if you do it will probably be fine. If I'm right about it causing the current problem it is likely because it got corrupted or the data definitions are out of date (or you did not configure it properly).

My preference is to use Windows' firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice