1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gcam89, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gcam89

Gcam89 Thread Starter

I bought a computer yesterday and am currently unable to connect to my wireless network. The network is a shared wireless network, WEP network key and i'm using a Netcomm Np 7040 usb lan adapter. When I open wireless connections the wireless network is visible and when I try to connect it gives me the error message "windows is unable to connect to the selected wireless network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again." I have already googled the problem and one bit of advise was to add the network in the advanced settings and include the network key in that. I did that and it is still coming up with the message. The usb adapter works on all the other computers when connecting to the network so I doubt its that. Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for the network. Make SURE you enter the correct encryption key when prompted.

3. Gcam89

Gcam89 Thread Starter

didn't work, still getting the same error message. I don't get the chance to enter the encryption key when connecting because it never lasts more than about 5 seconds.

4. netman42

netman42

Did the usb WLAN adapter come with drivers and wireless management software? Often times it's better to use the programs and drivers that come with the card instead of letting Windows managing the wireless for that card. You didn't mention if this card is new or the computer is new. Is this Windows XP, Windows 7?

5. Gcam89

Gcam89 Thread Starter

the wireless lan adapter was old, the computer was new. went out and bought another lan adapter and it worked, was probably the dodgy drivers from the old adapter, thanks anyway

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice