1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to connect wirelessly...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jonah619, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonah619

jonah619 Thread Starter

Hi guys.

I bought a ZDWlan WiFi usb adapter for my pc which is in one of my bedrooms. The router is downstairs.

Now I had hoped it would be really easy to get connected... but no such luck!

I've installed the cd and then inserted the usb, the ZDWlan configuration pops up. I see my network available at 40% strength. Now I click on the network and it just says connecting... for a very long time. Sometimes it will connect but only with limited or no connectivity so I'm unable to get online.

Ive tried a ton of things, including trying to reset my ip through CMD, but nothing changes.
    I wonder if its because I need to insert my WEP security key somewhere, but ZDWlan configuration never asked me for it or do I see anywhere to insert it.

I'm well and truly stuck and would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

PS... I'm typing this from my phone as no other PC in my household is connected to the net.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Make sure that you only have one wireless manager running.Either windows default(WZC or WLAN)depending on your operating system.Or your adapter manager,,zdwlan,but not both.
    Disable encryption on your router.See if that helps
    Make sure all necessary services are enabled.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic
    If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
    Then let's see :
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Have you ever had a wireless connection on this pc ?

"PS... I'm typing this from my phone as no other PC in my household is connected to the net." Is that by design or a problem ?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try to get a decent signal by repositioning/reorienting the router and adapter. Remember that for a stick type antenna the weakest signal is along the axis while the strongest is perpendicular to the axis.

With a 40% signal even if you get a connection you will probably not be very pleased with the performance.

4. jonah619

jonah619 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.
    Everything is automatic and started on that list.
    Also I have never connected to the internet with a wireless conection from this PC before.
    My laptop is currently broken hence why I have no internet connection through a PC.

Here is the /config /all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MarkPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : (ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-72-88-B0-7B

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Let's disable ICS,following instructions in this link:
    http://www.udel.edu/topics/connect/ethernet/roguedhcp.html
    Then:
    Let's look at device manager.

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

6. jonah619

jonah619 Thread Starter

'Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection' under advanced tab on 'wireless network connection 4' is NOT ticked and on the other network connection 'Local Area Connection' (which has 'Network cable unplugged, Realtek RTL8139/810' in light grey under it) is NOT ticked.

Please find the device manager image in the attachment.

I don't see any red crosses or error codes, everything seems to be working?

Once again, very grateful for the help.

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Something strange here, as "IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes" indicates that ICS is enabled on some connection.

Suggest that try w/o encryption on the router at closer range, and then in the current environment, and then if successful with encryption enabled again. To test connection--see if you get an IP configuration--you do not need internet access. So you can bring the router close enough to connect by ethernet for the reconfiguration and place it 5 or 6 or 10 feet away to test the wireless.

Also do ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice