1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to connect

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gdparke, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

Good evening,

I am not sure whether this query belongs in this thread or the networking thread. Sorry if I've made the wrong decision.

I am having some difficulty connecting to the internet with anything at all - Internet Explorer, Firefox, World of Warcraft client, etc. I connect through cable internet, and have wrapped up a lengthy conversation with the tech support people at my ISP. They are convinced, and I'm inclined to agree, that the problem is on my machine. The proper lights are flashing on my modem (which connects directly to my computer). I have an icon on my taskbar indicating that I am connected properly. The ISP folks are suggesting that something, possibly a firewall, is preventing any connection. Everything was working fine earlier today, and I did nothing to chane my system, but it would seem something has kicked in.

So, the bottom line is, as far as my ISP is concerned, everything looks fine. As far as I can tell, everything appears ok, IE and Firefox are just unable to connect to anything.

I have ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus (free version) installed, and have tried disabling them. This does nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

2. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

Very sorry to "bump," but I'm I'm having the same difficulty this morning. Please let me know if there is any additional information I should be providing.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Have you tried re-cycling the computer and modem?

4. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by re-cycling the computer/modem.

While on the line with my ISP, they had me unplug everything from the modem (the coaxial cable, the network cable, and the power) for several minutes in order to reset it. That's all I've done with the modem itself.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you also tried power cycling the computer as suggested by ozrom1e?

If your computer can not connect, how are you posting on TSG?

Can you save and post IPCONFIG /ALL data for the computer when it can not connect? Here is a recent post by one of our resident networking experts, JohnWill, on how to run IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/646663-networking-2-computers.html#2

6. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

I'm completely baffled now, as the problem seems to have resovlved itself.

For my own information, though, in the event something like this happens again, what exactly does "power cycling the computer" mean? Shut it down and unplug it?

I was posting on a laptop which accesses this internet through a work provided network. This pc in question is my just that, my "personal" computer, and connects through an ISP I pay for.

Should this happen again, I will post the IPCOFIG /ALL results when I am seeking assistance.

Thanks for your attention. Sorry that this appears to be a non-issue, but I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out. Maybe that actually fixed it...

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    To me, it means having Windows go through a normal shutdown where the computer turns itself off. It does not mean having to unplug the power from the computer. Wait at least five or ten seconds and then turn the computer back on and let Windows boot up.

Thank-you for clarifying how you were able to post on TSG. Just wanted to make sure you did not have two computers involved and were moving the network cable from the modem between two computers.

You might let everything run for a few days and if the problem does not come back, you might want to come back to this topic and let us know the problem really did seem to cure itself (and mark the thread "solved").

8. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

Looks like it's acting up again. Though everything appears to be working, IE gives me a "Internet Exlporer cannot display the webpage" error. Firefox gives me something similar.

ipconfig /all results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MYPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nexicom.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nexicom.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DE-528 Ethernet PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-54-22-10
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.75.93.119
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.75.92.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.75.64.122
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.168.96.10
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 02, 2007 10:57:37 A
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:57:37
    AM

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Power cycling is actually turning off both computer and the modem at the same time wait couple of minutes and then turn both back on at the same time and let them bootup. then try the interent connection.

10. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

Thank you for the clarification. I shut down the computer and completely unplugged the modem. I waited about 5 minutes and powered everything back up. No improvement. Still unable to connect to anything.

11. grouse

grouse

START RUN

IPCONFIG /flushdns - space before the /

12. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

No improvement.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

14. gdparke

gdparke Thread Starter

I worked through most of those instructions, but stopped at step 7 when it starts talking about the registry, something I know little about and no idea at all how to find.

Much of what comes later in those instructions appears to be meant for Windows 95/98 users. I am using XP, so I'm not sure if it still applies.

15. BDACBT

BDACBT

You really have a 300 Baud laying around? Wow, takes me back. Some years before PC's, I was doing hardware maintenance for Honeywell. I remember working on a Phoenix disk drive that had had a head crash. That drive was the size of a small desk. The fixed platter was larger than a LARGE dinner plate. It was a 10 meg drive and cost thousands.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice