1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Contact DHCP Server.... WHY ????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Katmandu, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

Ok, I've been fighting with this old desktop PC for a few days now and I'm at my wits end.

I've been trying (in vain) to connect a USB Wireless device to be able to use it off my wireless network. I have (2) other laptops and (1) other desktop connecting to the router with no issues.

For some reason, this old desktop keeps installing an Ethernet device (probably on the MB) and is automatically Configuring the IP address to that instead of the USB wireless device.

I've tried uninstalling the Ethernet device but it comes right back after I do a reboot. Even when I disable it, I still can not connect with my Wireless device.

Here's a screen shot when I do a ipconfig /all from the CMD prompt....

Attached Files:

2. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

BTW, the desktop's OS is XP Pro.

3. Rockn

Rockn

It is not even getting an IP address via DHCP so you will never connect to the internet. 169.254 addresses are what happens when a connection to a DHCP server fails.

4. valis

valis Moderator

stupid question, but do you have the dhcp set in the tcp/ip properties, or is it set to static?

5. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

Ok. Why does it keep resetting to a specific IP address within the 169.254.xxx.xx parameter ? (hence the 169.254.164.35
    I keep getting)

How do I clear this IP and get the other IP's to set automatically ?

6. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Its showing DHCP as Enabled under the IP Settings Tab.

7. valis

valis Moderator

are your dns servers set to auto as well?

8. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

Yes, as are the IP addresses. All set to automatic.

9. Rockn

Rockn

You are getting the 169.x.x.x address because a DHCP server cannot be contacted. Do any other wireless devices connect correctly and get the correct IP address?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Service Pack 3?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Netgear's web site.

What encryption are you using? Can you connect with encryption disabled? Also, of course, make sure you are not locking yourself out with MAC Address filtering on the router.

11. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

No other wireless devices on this particular desktop.

However, I do have several other wireless devices connecting to my router. At least 4 or 5.

12. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

SP3... Yes and Yes on the latest Netgear driver as well.

WAP encryption on all my wireless devices.

I'm at work now, so I'll check on Connectivity with Encryption disabled later on. I'll double check the MAC addressing setting as well.

I'm not clear on what MAC addressing is.... Is it possible I have too many wireless devices requesting IP addresses from my Router ??

13. Rockn

Rockn

I was referring to other network devices like a Wii, Xbox or anything else. I would say it is an issue with the wireless adapter itself. Maybe your router's scope has been reached for the number of DHCP addresses handed out. Turn off one of your other network devices using wireless and issue an ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew on the currently non functioning device getting the 169 addresses.

14. Katmandu

Katmandu Thread Starter

Ok. I actually was having difficulty with another USB wireless device on this PC. So I swapped it out with another device that was working fine. That did not solve the issue. Stayed the same with the USB devices swapped.

My other wireless devices are... (2) other laptops, another desktop and (2) smartphones. I do have a wireless printer that is hard wired to the router as well (Ethernet).

Ok, I'll try that when I get home as well. (y)

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hmmm. Would that be WEP misspelled or WPA rearranged? :)

Well, that's not exactly the term I used. MAC Address filtering (or access control) is restricting wireless connections to only those devices with the specified MAC Addresses. Sometimes people enable this on the mistaken notion that it is a security feature and then forget about it when trying to add another computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice