Unable to Contact DHCP Server.... WHY ????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Katmandu

Ok, I've been fighting with this old desktop PC for a few days now and I'm at my wits end.

I've been trying (in vain) to connect a USB Wireless device to be able to use it off my wireless network. I have (2) other laptops and (1) other desktop connecting to the router with no issues.

For some reason, this old desktop keeps installing an Ethernet device (probably on the MB) and is automatically Configuring the IP address to that instead of the USB wireless device.

I've tried uninstalling the Ethernet device but it comes right back after I do a reboot. Even when I disable it, I still can not connect with my Wireless device.

Here's a screen shot when I do a ipconfig /all from the CMD prompt....

Attachments

It is not even getting an IP address via DHCP so you will never connect to the internet. 169.254 addresses are what happens when a connection to a DHCP server fails.

valis

stupid question, but do you have the dhcp set in the tcp/ip properties, or is it set to static?

Katmandu

It is not even getting an IP address via DHCP so you will never connect to the internet. 169.254 addresses are what happens when a connection to a DHCP server fails.
Thanks for your reply.

Ok. Why does it keep resetting to a specific IP address within the 169.254.xxx.xx parameter ? (hence the 169.254.164.35
I keep getting)

How do I clear this IP and get the other IP's to set automatically ?

Katmandu

stupid question, but do you have the dhcp set in the tcp/ip properties, or is it set to static?
Thank you for your reply.

Its showing DHCP as Enabled under the IP Settings Tab.

You are getting the 169.x.x.x address because a DHCP server cannot be contacted. Do any other wireless devices connect correctly and get the correct IP address?

TerryNet

Terry
Service Pack 3?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Netgear's web site.

What encryption are you using? Can you connect with encryption disabled? Also, of course, make sure you are not locking yourself out with MAC Address filtering on the router.

Katmandu

Do any other wireless devices connect correctly and get the correct IP address?
No other wireless devices on this particular desktop.

However, I do have several other wireless devices connecting to my router. At least 4 or 5.

Katmandu

Service Pack 3?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Netgear's web site.

What encryption are you using? Can you connect with encryption disabled? Also, of course, make sure you are not locking yourself out with MAC Address filtering on the router.
SP3... Yes and Yes on the latest Netgear driver as well.

WAP encryption on all my wireless devices.

I'm at work now, so I'll check on Connectivity with Encryption disabled later on. I'll double check the MAC addressing setting as well.

I'm not clear on what MAC addressing is.... Is it possible I have too many wireless devices requesting IP addresses from my Router ??

I was referring to other network devices like a Wii, Xbox or anything else. I would say it is an issue with the wireless adapter itself. Maybe your router's scope has been reached for the number of DHCP addresses handed out. Turn off one of your other network devices using wireless and issue an ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew on the currently non functioning device getting the 169 addresses.

Katmandu

I was referring to other network devices like a Wii, Xbox or anything else. I would say it is an issue with the wireless adapter itself.
Ok. I actually was having difficulty with another USB wireless device on this PC. So I swapped it out with another device that was working fine. That did not solve the issue. Stayed the same with the USB devices swapped.

My other wireless devices are... (2) other laptops, another desktop and (2) smartphones. I do have a wireless printer that is hard wired to the router as well (Ethernet).

Maybe your router's scope has been reached for the number of DHCP addresses handed out. Turn off one of your other network devices using wireless and issue an ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew on the currently non functioning device getting the 169 addresses.
Ok, I'll try that when I get home as well. (y)

TerryNet

Terry
WAP encryption on all my wireless devices.
Hmmm. Would that be WEP misspelled or WPA rearranged? :)

I'm not clear on what MAC addressing is....
Well, that's not exactly the term I used. MAC Address filtering (or access control) is restricting wireless connections to only those devices with the specified MAC Addresses. Sometimes people enable this on the mistaken notion that it is a security feature and then forget about it when trying to add another computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online