Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to contact DHCP server

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Malikquy 
#1 ·
Ok first off some background. This started a couple months ago when I would log in to find my ethernet connection finding no connections. I found some commands for the cmd being:
ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
After restarting, it worked however I would have a similiar issue but at increased intervials until 2 days ago. I logged on and the problem didn't go away. It was also when it ilustrated the no internet acess warning when it can detect my extender I use for ethernet but can't get internet.
My ipconfig/all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-31-BF-52-E4-6F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fc2b:9bbc:ade9:8539%17(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.133.57(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 471347647
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-A4-0B-78-B0-83-FE-90-DC-9B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ok and obviously the title comes from the result of ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew.
After looking into it, I noticed some people had the exact same symptoms and it was caused by mcafee (which I had on my computer). So I have removed but didn't fix the issue. I haved also tried turning my firewall off completely.
Interestingly on my internet settings internet page (as in the one which u get my typing in ur ip address into google). It recognises my tv off the router but not the cord to my internet extender.
I have also tried setting a default gateway for both ipv4 and ipv6. The dchp sever on my router is working fine apparently and no issues from my isp's end.
In my event viewer, I got the error 0x79 "Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the network card with network address..." so I don't think the NIC is to blame.
Thank you for reading this hope someone can help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I am going to make a couple of assumptions here.
1) Your PC is directly connected to the Router via ethernet cable
2) Other devices are connected to the router are working.

I would restart the router and change the the ethernet cable. Also ensure that IP address setting on the Network card are all set to default. EG Automatic.

It feels as the DHCP server on the router may have frozen and restarting the router should resolve this.

#3 ·
As I mentioned in my first post, my pc is connected by an ethernet extender that runs over the power supply.
I have also changed both sets of ethernet cables and restarted the router several times. Also the dhcp is fine on the router, cause other devices can connect to it by wifi. Plus on the config page for the router there are no errors and the dhcp is purported as working.
If u have any other suggestions, I would be grateful

#4 · (Edited)
If the router and cables are fine then, I would check that the Ethernet extender are speaking to each other. Normally there is a light that on the device that shows that are speaking to each other. I would move the remote extender and move to the same room as the other one, assuming it is next to the router and see you can get an IP address.

You may want to use a laptop to test and then move the device back to the current location.

What type of powerline ethernet extender to you have.

It is a case of knowing what is working and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.