1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to copy and paste

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MickC, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MickC

MickC Thread Starter

Hi,

I am unable to copy and paste files on my laptop that has had XP SP2 re-installed. Whewn I try to paste the option is inactive. My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra. Can anyone help please.

Rgds

MickC

2. Hawk1

Hawk1

Hi MickC,

Might give this a try. Open the Control Panel. Select the Internet Options applet and click on the Security tab. Then click on Custom Setting, find the option "Drag and copy or paste" and ensure that it is enabled.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hawk1

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Paste" command will stay greyed out if you closed the document or webpage that you clicked "Copy" before you actually copied it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Will just doing another "copy" fix that?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Leave both documents open(the one you're copying from and the one you're pasting to) and the "Paste" command should be highlighted so you can use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. MickC

MickC Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I am trying to copy files from my HD to a memory stick and not text from doc to doc.
    I can successfully copy the files to the Memory stick using DOS but I have a gig of images that I need to clear off the laptop and haven't got the energy or enthusiasm to do them tru' DOS as well and would ideally like to solve the copy/paste problem.
    Cheers.
    MickC

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've only used a memory stick to import photos from it to my computer, so I'll let someone else answer your question.

8. everbright

everbright

I'm having the exact same problem as well! Mine's a HP Compaq nx9000, with Windows XP SP2 installed as well!

Ive tried to scan for viruses (some forums report that the Blaster virus does have this as a side effect), but nothing there.

Anyone managed to figure out what's happening here?

The worst case is that I'll revert back to SP1 :(

9. Hawk1

Hawk1

10. MickC

MickC Thread Starter

Thanks all. The problem I am having is not a user problem but an underlying probem with the OS or its install.
    I am unable to copy/ paste not only to my memory stick but to anywhere on the hard drive. This only happened after I installed XP SP2. I might try rolling back to SP1 but have not had this problem on any other computer I have upgraded to XP SP2 and I have upgraded quite a few PCs.
    Is there a driver missing or something?
    Cheers.
    MickC

11. Hawk1

Hawk1

Hi again MickC,

When you say you upgraded to WinXP/SP2 do you mean you installed over the top or did you do a format & clean install?

Without reading the whole thread again, did you try chkdsk /f ? (Space between k & /) If you didn't, go to Start/Run & type chkdk /f & hit ok. At the command prompt type Y & hit enter then reboot.

Regards,

Hawk

12. MickC

MickC Thread Starter

Thanks hawk1,

I installed over the existing OS. I didn't want to re-format as I don't want to lose the data I am trying to take off the laptop. I will try the chkdsk cmd.

Cheers.
    MickC

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!