1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to copy Norton Ghost boot CD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dash039, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dash039

dash039 Thread Starter

I posted this question in the thread "Norton Sysworks Pro 2003 problem" but figured it might be a bit buried, so I thought I'd try it again starting a new thread.

I just made a ghost image of a Windows 98 computer directly to CD-R (using Norton Ghost 2002 only). Before burning it, Ghost asked me if I'd like to make the CD bootable, or something similar. I said yes, it asked for a boot floppy, and I gave it a Windows 98 startup disk. Ghost then proceeded to burn the image to CD.
    Following this I thought it might be clever to make another copy of this CD as a backup, so I restarted the computer and told Nero to make a direct copy. However, Nero kept telling me that there were errors reading the disk, and just made coasters. I had a look at the CD with Windows Explorer, and could see the *.gho file and ghost.exe, but nothing else. So I left the CD in the drive, rebooted the computer and it booted to DOS from the CD exactly as it would have from a Windows 98 startup floppy (except much quicker).
    So my question is:
    Why are the boot files created by Ghost on the CD invisible to Windows Explorer, and why is Nero incapable of copying these files? (Well, two questions I suppose)
    Thanks to anyone who can provide some info,
    Darren

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Have you tested the ghost CD that you created? Could it be that, although the CD will boot the system, it is still a duff CD with errors on it that Nero detected? Might want to run a test on that image...

Also, in Windows Explorer, are you set up to view all system and hidden files as well as all extensions? Are you able to see the system files in the root of your C:?

MBN

PS: you may also want to set your Nero to Test then Burn for copying your ghost images until you determine what the problem is....that way you won't keep creating coasters....

3. dash039

dash039 Thread Starter

Hi.
    The CD seems to be okay. It boots up to DOS despite the fact I can't see the files on the CD. The ghost.exe and the image itself are okay. I copied them to my hard drive and the image opened with Ghost Explorer fine.

After the first couple of coasters I run a couple of copy simulations with Nero and they both failed.

I've got Explorer set to view system files so that's not the problem.

I just ran ISO buster on the CD (it's a CD data recovery program) and it shows two tracks. Track 2 is empty while track one contains two lots of data. This is where my understanding of CD data structure fails. However......

Track 1 contains an ISO 'folder' called Ghost_001 which contains the ghost.exe and image file. It also contains another 'folder' called Bootable CD which holds two files called BootCatalog.cat & CDRESQ.img. Obviously this Bottable CD 'folder' is the one that Nero and Windows Explorer can't deal with.

I suppose I just need a CD expert to explain how this works.

Thanks,
    Darren

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

dash, the cd boots but you still don't know if the cd has a valid image. It appears that the ghost file is okay, but what if the error is elsewhere on the CD and is accessed during the re-write process....? If I were you, I'd boot it up with the CD and run a test to make sure it can do what it's supposed to: recreate your hdd. Shouldn't take long at all....10 mins or so, max....well worth the aggravation.

Most importantly, you are then eliminating the CD image as the possible culprit and can focus on Nero and the burning softwares that are throwing the errors.

Just my two cents,

MBN

5. dash039

dash039 Thread Starter

Hi.
    Okay, I just got around to burning another CD. The only difference this time is that I used a Norton Ghost boot floppy to make the CD bootable rather than a Windows 98 startup disk. The results were exactly the same, with the same files ISOBuster could see but Windows Explorer couldn't, and Nero continued to give me read errors while trying to copy the CD.
    I then tried CloneCD which failed to copy the CD the first time (got write errors at the end which could have been just a coincidence) but when I made an image first the copy then burnt no problem.
    To add to my confusion, the computer I used to make the Ghost CDs (An old Compaq Deskpro I'm resurrecting for a friend) refuses to boot off either of the boot CDs. It tells me that they are invalid system disks. However my computer will boot from the CD I made using the Windows 98 boot floppy files, it'll also boot from the one I made from the Ghost boot floppy (boots straight into Ghost perfectly) but it won't boot from the copy I made. This is despite the fact that when I look at the copy with ISOBuster it appears to be identical to the original.
    One day a computer is going to kill me..........
    Dash

6. dash039

dash039 Thread Starter

Okay, I found some info here http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#whatis on how bootable CDs work. Seems that the info has to be in an exact position on the CD in order to be recognised, and is dependant on the BIOS implementing the Boot standard properly. This might explain why one computer will boot off the CD while another won't, and why Windows Explorer doesn't feel obliged to display the boot files.
    I made a boot CD with Nero and the old computer wouldn't boot off it while mine will. Nero will copy it's own boot CD, although I haven't tested it yet. So that brings me back to the original question, why won't Nero copy a boot CD made by Norton Ghost?
    Dash

Gave up on Nero and tried Alcohol 120%. Same problem on both CDs.

12:00:56 Disc dumping: (E:) PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117(1:0)
    12:00:56 Reading Mode: RAW Mode
    12:00:56 Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 2, Length: 544.6 MB / 061:57:42
    12:00:56 DPM measuring precision: Normal / 1X (150 KB/Sec)
    12:00:56 Wait for a while for DPM analysis.
    12:06:55 Data Position Measurement - Elapsed Time: 00:05:58
    12:06:55 Get DPM info from current disc successful!
    12:07:02 Disc read error at: 301
    12:07:02 Disc dumping failed!
    12:07:02 Error message: [03/11/06] - CIRC Unrecovered Error
    12:07:02 (F:) RICOH CD-RW MP7400A(1:1): Recording Method/Speed
    12:07:02 Simulated recording - DAO / SAO - 40X (6000 KB/Sec)
    12:07:02 (F:) RICOH CD-RW MP7400A(1:1): BURN-Free activated
    12:07:18 (F:) RICOH CD-RW MP7400A(1:1): Simulated recording aborted!

I'm probably ready to give up trying to work this out myself, especially when I can just make a second Ghost Boot CD from scratch. Both CDs actually work fine, so this has been one of those 'I just need to know why' exercises that suck up time like a black hole.
    Maybe someone will know what's going on.
    Thanks,
    Dash

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice