1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to copy to cd

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rosmari, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I scanned a series of old photos; then edited them. I want to copy them onto a CD or dvd, anf get this message: "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file".

I have WindowsXP.

The pictures are between 500 KB and 1.4 MB, which means I cannot attach them.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Do you have a CD burner? Can you burn other files? Have this burner ever worked?
    What burning software are you using?

3. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

It's the drive D on my Dell computer, which I've had for 3 years; I have copied innumerable photos and videos on CD/DVD over the past three years, without any problem.

First I used - as I've usually done - "copy to CD" (on the left-side column of "My Pictures" folder). And when that didn't work, I used Ashampoo, which I also have used many times before. Ashampoo goes through the whole process, but then, at the end it stalls.

An additional puzzle is that - even though I reformatted the DVD on which Ashampoo had tried to copy - when I now put it in my D drive, it shows to contain some videos from a totally different place. These videos appear to have content, but when I click on them, they don't play. However, as I mentioned above, in actuality, the disc is totally empty.

By the way, I tried to re-copy old photos that I had previously burned onto CD, and that didn't work anymore either.

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I clicked on the MS Support site; then on the Fix It "Run Now", and it keeps on telling me that I have to download WindowsXP Service Pack 3, even though I did download it.

Then, eventually, it wanted me to pay for "Drive Detective" ... (which I didn't).

???
    Thank you for your help.

6. Hughv

Hughv

You were lead astray somehow.
    Driver detective shouldn't be mentioned at all, so be sure you're on the MS site.
    Did you install SP3?
    Rt-click My Computer/Properties to see if it's installed.

7. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

Indeed, SP3 had not been installed. I did install it now, then went to "fix it"; the answer is that my D drive is not capable of writing/burning and that I may need to install a CD/DVD writer.

As I had said earlier, I have been burning CD/DVDs for the past three years. I thus assume that the burning facility suddenly went kaput.

Any suggestions as to repair/replace? By the way, I am not very computer savvy.

Thank you.

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

9. Hughv

Hughv

In most computers, adding or replacing a CD/DVD drive is quite simple. A few screws and two cables. You might as well get a DVD burner while you're at it. $30.00-$40.00.
    If you give us the exact model we may be able to find a diagram of your machine.
    There are many tutorials available.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html

10. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

Miracle - after fiddling with system restore, cleanup and other stuff, my CD drive works again, i.e. I can burn CDs up to a total of 700MB.

However, I have questions:
    1) when trying ImgBurn, it did not accept either .jpeg or .mov. Some of my folders include videos which are too big for CDs. ImgBurn (as well as Ashampoo) went through all the steps, but then ended up saying that they did not recognize these particular extensions.

2) Maybe I should add a DVD burner? My computer is a DELL Inspiron 530. It actually has space for two drives: one is my D drive; the other one is non-operational.

3) I have an external hard drive with plenty of space to back up my photos and videos. If I want to copy them onto CD/DVDs, it is to send them to friends. But perhaps there is a way to send large folders by e-mail? That would obviate my needing a DVD burner.

Thank you for your help.

11. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice