Unable to create backup

knewbee

I am attempting to backup my win7 machine and I keep getting this error about shadow copy (see attachment). I have turned off antivirus, I have gone to services.msc and started Volume Shadow Copy Service and Software Protection Service. I've set the backup to go to my external HDD which has 3.69TB of free space. I'm at a loss of what to try next. Help!

shadow-copy.JPG

knewbee

Thanks for the link. I followed the first 5 steps and free space is 32MB, not enough per the page. The next steps are a little confusing, sorry. My C drive has my Windows installed (boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition). The system reserved is on another drive that contains a few partitions - M, P, S, Z and system reserved. Do you have any better directions or tips. I'm not completely ignorant with computers, but this is a little tougher to follow for me. Since the system reserved is on a drive different than my C drive (and Windows), do I want to move it to the C drive? Another partition on the current HDD it is on?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

managed

Allan
Give the System Reserved partition a drive letter in Disk Management, then open that drive letter in Windows Explorer and inside the Boot folder Copy all the language folders (they look like en-GB, de-DE etc) to another drive/partition, then delete them, but if you are not using en-US (english USA) then make sure you don't delete the one for your language.
That should free up enough space to let the backup work.

knewbee

Give the System Reserved partition a drive letter in Disk Management, then open that drive letter in Windows Explorer and inside the Boot folder Copy all the language folders (they look like en-GB, de-DE etc) to another drive/partition, then delete them, but if you are not using en-US (english USA) then make sure you don't delete the one for your language.
That should free up enough space to let the backup work.
OK. I should be able to do that. Everything I've read says this should not have a drive letter. Is it OK to assign one? Will having a drive letter cause issues? Do I remove the letter after deleting the language folders?

managed

Allan
It won't cause issues, I have mine set with a drive letter, you can remove it later though.

I would copy the folders first before you delete them, just in case this doesn't work, then you can copy them back in again.

Just be careful not to delete any other folders or files, in my Windows 7 there are these other folders inside the Boot folder :-

Fonts
qps-ploc
qps-plocm
Resources
sr-Latn-CS
sr-Latn-RS

You may not have all of those and you could have others so be careful.

If you can't see the Boot folder use the methods here to show System folders and files AND protected operating system files. :- https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

knewbee

It won't cause issues, I have mine set with a drive letter, you can remove it later though.

I would copy the folders first before you delete them, just in case this doesn't work, then you can copy them back in again.

Just be careful not to delete any other folders or files, in my Windows 7 there are these other folders inside the Boot folder :-

Fonts
qps-ploc
qps-plocm
Resources
sr-Latn-CS
sr-Latn-RS

You may not have all of those and you could have others so be careful.

If you can't see the Boot folder use the methods here to show System folders and files AND protected operating system files. :- https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/
I'm finally getting around to this. I've copied all language folders as a backup, leaving EN-US. When I try to delete the others it says "you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder" and even if I keep hitting "try again", I get the same message.

knewbee

I found this page (https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/) and I'm looking at changing the owner. On the Owner tab, current owner is TrustedInstaller, in the change to section is my account. If I click edit, there is the administrator account and my account. My account (under User Accounts in the control panel) has my login name, says administrator underneath, and password protected. Does this mean I can change owner tk administrator?

managed

Allan
Try changing the owner to your account and if asked enter your password, if you didn't set a password try just pressing Enter.

knewbee

Try changing the owner to your account and if asked enter your password, if you didn't set a password try just pressing Enter.
I just changed ownership to my user account, and hit OK/Apply until I'm back to the System Reserved. When I go to delete a language folder it now says I need permission from my user account.

knewbee

Can you grant permission ? If not post a screenshot including the window that asks for that permission please :- https://forums.techguy.org/help/screenshot/
Changing permissions worked - I was able to delete the language folders, leaving EN-US. I went back to the computer management console in order to see free space for the new reserved drive (R:\) and it's been opening for about 5 minutes now, not showing any drive info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online