Unable to create backup

Please make sure the ssd boots and every thing works before formatting old c partition

knewbee

Correct but you will have to take R also. Then best way to check is to unplug current hdd and make sure ssd boots.
R is where the boot information is kept. There is a way around it but you need a windows dvd. Can be a hassle
If you are happy to dump windows backup then cross your fingers and toes and go for it.
Cheers
Peteroz
OK, clone C and R to the ssd.

I'll definitely make sure everything boots before formatting. Worse case I'll have the backup I created before the clone I can restore. Thanks for walking me through it.

No Probs - any issues come back here. If it all works we would still like to know please so others might learn.

Cheers
Peteroz

knewbee

No Probs - any issues come back here. If it all works we would still like to know please so others might learn.

Cheers
Peteroz
Backup created using Macrium. Installed and got new SSD ready. Now I need to clone the C drive to the new SSD. Do I also need to select the reserve (which now is a partition with a letter R based on previous recommendations)? I'm only seeing the option to select one drive/partition to clone. I assume that is correct, as it's cloning the C drive to the new SSD, the reserve will remain on the old drive. If I'm looking to test and unplug the old HDD, I'll need the reserve (R:\) cloned to the new SSD as well, correct? So it'll be a 2-step process?

managed

Allan
This is how I would do it :-

1) Make a Macrium restore Usb stick (in Macrium click Other tasks > Create rescue media and follow the instructions)
2) Boot into the Usb stick
3) Make an Image of the R partition and the C partition stored onto the External drive.
4) As soon as the Images are finished shutdown the computer (click power icon at bottom > Shutdown).
5) Replace the hard drive with the SSD.
6) Boot into the Usb stick
7) Restore the R and C Images onto the SSD.

The above should make a bootable SSD and you will have the 2 Images on the external drive which will contain everything from R and C and can be used as backups.

knewbee

This is how I would do it :-

1) Make a Macrium restore Usb stick (in Macrium click Other tasks > Create rescue media and follow the instructions)
2) Boot into the Usb stick
3) Make an Image of the R partition and the C partition stored onto the External drive.
4) As soon as the Images are finished shutdown the computer (click power icon at bottom > Shutdown).
5) Replace the hard drive with the SSD.
6) Boot into the Usb stick
7) Restore the R and C Images onto the SSD.

The above should make a bootable SSD and you will have the 2 Images on the external drive which will contain everything from R and C and can be used as backups.
Hmmm, I don't currently have access to a USB stick.

managed

Allan
You can also add Macrium to the boot menu, when you select it the computer will boot into the Macrium software.

knewbee

You can also add Macrium to the boot menu, when you select it the computer will boot into the Macrium software.
You can burn a CD/DVD instead if you have a burner.
OK, I follow instructions to the T, so I didn't think of a DVD. 😊 I will make a bootable DVD and follow your steps. I've asked this before but I want to be certain. My external hard drive has backups, etc on there. If I image the C and R drive to my external will it wipe everything else off of it? I believe everything I've read says it will wipe the drive, and I can't have that. Otherwise the rest makes sense and I understand.

managed

Allan
I already said it won't wipe anything from the external, the images are just files that get saved like any other file. You do need enough room for them on the external drive, at the default settings the images are roughly 2/3 the size of the source.

Restoring image(s) will effectively wipe the drive you restore them onto, maybe that's what you read.

knewbee

I already said it won't wipe anything from the external, the images are just files that get saved like any other file. You do need enough room for them on the external drive, at the default settings the images are roughly 2/3 the size of the source.

Restoring image(s) will effectively wipe the drive you restore them onto, maybe that's what you read.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be difficult, just double checking. That may be what I read. Or maybe I was reading about cloning instead of imaging. Either way, I have made the recovery disk and will image in the morning and follow your steps above. I really, really appreciate your help.

knewbee

You're welcome, good luck with it.
I believe I'm oh so close, but have/had one issue and need to be certain I'm going to do the correct thing. After I backed up the partitions, I unplugged the hdd and restored them to the ssd. I rebooted and got stuck on a DOS screen saying "loading windows", could not get past it. I shutdown and unplugged the ssd and plugged in the hdd, same result. I rebooted again and in BIOS I changed the boot order and selected the drive with the reserve partition and it booted up fine. (this is with the original hdd plugged in, not the new ssd.)

So, I'm wondering if my issue I experienced with the ssd plugged in (and hdd unplugged) and it saying "loading windows" and going no further has to do with the boot order. Should I unplug the hdd, plug in the ssd, and in bios select the new ssd as the boot drive?

managed

Allan
Yes swap in the SSD and make it the first boot device in the Bios, it should boot into Windows then.

I'm confused though, the reserved partition should be on both drives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online