Unable to create backup

knewbee

Yes swap in the SSD and make it the first boot device in the Bios, it should boot into Windows then.

I'm confused though, the reserved partition should be on both drives.
OK, I'm so embarrassed. Let me explain what I found out, and remember my username.

My ex built this machine and he said there is an hdd with windows and other partitions. There is also a small ssd (64gb), plus the external hdd. That's the assumption I went with, and when I opened up the computer that's what I saw. Or so I thought.

After trying to image and figure out what was going on, I see that there was in fact a 2nd ssd stacked underneath the 64gb ssd. I didn't realize this.

So here is the real setup:
1) hdd - R drive which is the system reserve, plus additional partitions for data.
2) ssd - C drive with windows
3) ssd - 64gb, not sure it's roll, somehow a part of windows. The only thing there are hidden files, one being the recycling bin. When I open it up, it has the same files as the recycling bin on the desktop.

What I did was image the R drive and attempt to install on a new ssd (this would make the 3rd ssd in the system). I unplugged the hdd and booted up. That's when I got the "loading windows" and figured I needed to go into bios and change it to the new ssd for boot. That's why my question yesterday.

But now that I see how this is really setup, I have 2 questions before I continue.
1) can I figure out the roll of the small ssd (letter drive is O:\)?
2) the O drive appears essentially empty (I guess depending on roll above), is it possible to just put R on this drive and not need the new ssd?

knewbee

Sorry for the delay, here's my disk management screenshot. This is without the external HDD attached nor the new SSD.
disk.jpg

Hi Knewbee
I have sent some ideas to Allan via messenger to see what he thinks.

managed

Allan
knewbee: Try setting Disk 1 as the first boot device in the Bios (go by the size, it should be the largest) , it should boot into Windows then. If that works we can try to sort out the disks/partitions afterwards.

knewbee

knewbee: Try setting Disk 1 as the first boot device in the Bios (go by the size, it should be the largest) , it should boot into Windows then. If that works we can try to sort out the disks/partitions afterwards.
Yep, I got that part sorted out. As-is I can boot just fine. If I use the new ssd I'll have to update bios again, I assume. But now that I see my correct setup, I'm wondering what O does and if I can add the recovery to that drive and not worry about the new ssd.

I apologize for being a pain. I wish I had realized this from the beginning.

managed

Allan
The Disk Management screenshot shows the System Reserved partition is on Disk 1 and Windows is on Disk 2.

Not sure what you mean by 'add recovery', please explain.

If you don't have a lot of apps installed the easiest thing to do is install Windows 7 onto the new SSD. You would lose all apps and data though. Is that a realistic possibility for you ?

knewbee

The Disk Management screenshot shows the System Reserved partition is on Disk 1 and Windows is on Disk 2.

Not sure what you mean by 'add recovery', please explain.

If you don't have a lot of apps installed the easiest thing to do is install Windows 7 onto the new SSD. You would lose all apps and data though. Is that a realistic possibility for you ?
Sorry, not recovery, I meant reserve. It's on disk 1, windows is on disk 2. I have disk 0 that I'm curious about. I think it has something to do with windows - it has very little used. And when I go to the drive it has just 2 hidden folders, one being the recycling bin. If I look at the recycling bin on disk 0, it has the same files as the recycling bin on the desktop. That's what is confusing me.

I'm wondering if I can figure out what this drive does and if it's possible to move the reserve to it. Disk 1 is an hdd that I don't want to fail. I'd like to get everything on an ssd, and possibly avoid the new ssd.

As for starting over, I'd like to avoid it for now if I can. I need to find all the disks for the programs I'd need to reinstall.

managed

Allan
Moving System Reserved partition to Disk 0 would make little if any difference compared to how it is now.
The normal thing is to have SR as first partition and Windows as 2nd.

If you want to try to get that try disconnecting all the drives except external drive with images on, DVD and new SSD. Then boot with Macrium CD/DVD you made and restore SR image to SDD as first partition and Windows image as 2nd partition, I think Macrium will restore them to the correct partition automatically. Then you can try booting to the SSD, I'm not sure if it will work though.

Last edited:

knewbee

Moving System Reserved partition to Disk 0 would make little if any difference compared to how it is now.
The normal thing is to have SR as first partition and Windows as 2nd.

If you want to try to get that try disconnecting all the drives except external drive with images on, DVD and new SSD. Then boot with Macrium CD/DVD you made and restore SR image to SDD as first partition and Windows image as 2nd partition, I think Macrium will restore them to the correct partition automatically. Then you can try booting to the SSD, I'm not sure if it will work though.
Yes, I'm not sure how the SR got to the hdd, or why. What you suggest (restoring the windows partition and SR to the new ssd) sounds logical. I'm curious why you aren't sure if it will work.

I mean, it won't hurt to try to restore the images to the new ssd. If I make an image of just the SR and C partitions, do I get to choose the order they're put on the ssd?

managed

Allan
The SR partition may not find the Windows partition after the restores because it is not on the original drive.

First restore the SR image to the new SSD, it should go onto the start of the SSD as the first partition. Then restore the Windows image, with no space between the 2 partitions.

knewbee

The SR partition may not find the Windows partition after the restores because it is not on the original drive.

First restore the SR image to the new SSD, it should go onto the start of the SSD as the first partition. Then restore the Windows image, with no space between the 2 partitions.
I see. Is there any way to put the SR partition on disk 2 with windows?

knewbee

You can try this, if it works you can make a new image of Disk 2 which should work when restored to the new SSD if you still want to do that :- https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-bootmgr-move-c-easybcd.html
I followed those steps and used EasyBCD. I selected my C drive to be the boot drive. I shutdown the PC, I unplugged the HDD that originally had the system reserve (disk 1), I booted and went into BIOS and made my C drive (disk 2) the primary boot option....when it started to boot it said "loading windows" then prompted me to boot from DVD. I shutdown, reconnected the HDD (disk 1), and booted normally. I just looked at my disk management and it looks exactly like my screenshot above. I don't see a reserve or anything added to disk 2.

managed

Allan
So it didn't boot using Disk 2 as first boot device ?

Let's decide exactly what you want to achieve. If you just want a backup you have that already with the Images of System Reserved and Disk 2 (C drive).
Do you want more than that ? If so what ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online