1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to create restore points

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MatineeThriller, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MatineeThriller

MatineeThriller Thread Starter

All of a sudden, I cannot create any restore points in my Vista Home Premium (32 bits), nor does it create any automatically. Every time I try creating one manually, I get this error message:

The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur.
    (0x800423)

Please try again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. MatineeThriller.

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

Is there sufficient free space in your System Drive?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't be using System Restore. SR is not a "backup" and there is no "writer". What exactly are you trying to do?

What program are you using? Are you trying to create a backup to optical media?

4. Draconai

Draconai

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7905. I also have a media recovery disk for it but it does not run, instead it just open windows expolrer and shows me the files. What do i do?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You open your own thread. Posting in someone else's is known as "hijacking".

6. MatineeThriller

Yes, plenty of space in hard drive C.

7. MatineeThriller

I go to Control Panel, System, then System protection, which opens System Properties, under the System Protection tab, I then click on Create..., and a new window pops up, instructing to: "Create a Restore Point. Type a description to help you identify the restore point. The current date and time are added automatically." Then, I do as it asks, I name the restore point, click on Create, and a new window pops up saying: Creating a restore point... and ebbing green on a narrow window, from left to right. This goes on for a long time, until finally, the error message mentioned earlier (0x800423F3) pops up. This process is how I used to creater restore points all along, until recently, it just stopped working. This is a Vista Home Premium OS. Does this help any in figuring out what is wrong?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

When do you see "The writer experienced a transient error. "?

9. MatineeThriller

I see the error message after I have gone through the whole process of creating a restore point, and after I click on Create. As I said before, it seems to start to work, goes on for a while, then it pops up the error message. Thks.

10. Firebreather

Firebreather

I see you have posted your problem in another forum. Any solution from there?

11. MatineeThriller

Nope. Not so far. I have tried 2 or 3 suggestions, including going into Administrative tools, then Services, and going to Volume Shadow and Windows Backup properties and making sure they are started and Automatic, but nothing changed. I have also run Hardware Diagnostic Tool repeatedly, got rid of disk errors. Nothing so far has worked. Any ideas?

12. Firebreather

Firebreather

Well, I'm outta ideas right now. Sorry! :(

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice