1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to customize toolbar

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jarkeld_ia, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jarkeld_ia

Jarkeld_ia Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm having trouble with my toolbar. It isn't highjacked, its just locked without an option to unlock it. The address box is the length of the screen, with a small "go" button and an even smaller "links" box with the arrows. When I LC View and go down to Toolbars I get the following dropdown menu:

Standard Buttons
    Address Bar
    Links
    (These are checked and greyed out, unable to change them)

Text Labels
    (This is checked and black, I can change it if I want.)

There is no "lock the toolbar" or resize or anything. No customize button either.

Help?

Jarkeld

2. Jarkeld_ia

3. Jarkeld_ia

4. somecrazyguy

somecrazyguy

I am having this same problems. Somebody please help, it is really getting on my nerves!

5. dugq

dugq

Hi,

Not quite sure what would cause this, but here are the registry settings that normally cause IE restrictions

HKEY_USERS \ .DEFAULT \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbars \ Restrictions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Restrictions

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbars \ Restrictions

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt

If you go to the registey (start-run-"regedit") Navigate to these keys and post back with what you see.

6. somecrazyguy

somecrazyguy

Hey thanks for the tips on where to look. Of the keys you mentioned these didn't exist

HKEY_USERS \ .DEFAULT \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbars \ Restrictions
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Restrictions

There was nothing in these places:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt

But here was where I found the jackpot!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor er

There were 6 values here:
    Btn_Search
    CDAutoRun
    NoBandCustomize
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    NoToolbarCustomize
    SpecifyDefaultButtons

By changing NoBandCustomize from a value of 1 to 0, I was able to get the "Lock the Toolbars" function back.
    By changing NoToolbarCustomize from a value of 1 to 0, I was able to get the "Customize..." function back.

Thanks for your help. If you have time to reply, could you maybe explain what the other values do, or suggest a place where I could learn more about this stuff. I am curious how these values were set on my machine, because these values aren't even on the other computers I have here at home. Any knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. dugq

dugq

Glad the problem is fixed.
    The BtnSearch removes the search option from the toolbar, not sure about the others though. At a guess I'd say the cdautorun stops, well, the cd autorun to be honest.
    I'm not sure of any website that explains all registry settings, the only source for that are books (the registry is a huge place). I've never read any of these books so couldn't recommend anything specific, although from what I've seen most of them are bigger than the Bible (most give the Tipitaka a run for its money).
    As for why it happened, sometimes registry changes happen for no specific reason, although given that here, actual new keys were created, it would imply some software was responsible, posssible malware, although also possible anti-malware (spybot used to be a pain for locking the homepage without asking).

8. Deke40

Deke40

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice