1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to delete a website account - am I safe??

Discussion in 'General Security' started by NSTurtle, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

Hi all,

So I'm currently managing a major home crisis, and on top of it all, I've been worried about this image-sharing website I recently used (in connection with the crisis). I'm not sure if it's policy or not to hyperlink here, especially if I'm now suspect of the site, but it's 'imgsafe' and the domain is '.org.' I had to quickly find a free image-sharing site where I could upload some images to a forum (so that the forum users could identify something for me), and I came across this one, which required the use of my email and a password. I've been using it to upload images, and then using their URLs to hyperlink on the forum just fine, but two things concern me:
    1. I cannot 'manage' or even delete the images, as the website assures me I can. I cannot interact with them in anyway except to open them and use their image URL.
    2. I can't delete my account. At all. This worries me, and the panic is starting to set in, because the last time I tried to use it, and upload an image, the Windows Explorer folder that came up was from the Mozilla x86 folder (which I don't recall using, and I don't know if this means anything). Recently they added something to the homepage which is to 'report abuse' - I used it to contact the owners to ask how to delete my account, but nothing so far.
    I have scanned my computer with a quick scan from MSE and a full scan from MalwareBytes (including rootkits), and everything said it was fine, which is why I'm not posting in the Malware Forum, but I still think this is a security concern and am feeling quite panicky and regretting that I exercised less than my usual caution when online, in the panicky state onset by my offline home crisis (I don't know if I'd have used it in any calm, leisurely time) :(

If anyone can help I'd be deeply, deeply grateful, from a desperate poster who sees no solutions in sight... Advice on how I can delete the account permanently, or otherwise any reassurance that I might be in the clear for now, anything will be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  2. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

If anyone can please help, I'd be so thankful as I can't solve this alone and I'm getting a little distressed about this, along with everything else :( Apologies for asking again, thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  3. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

Hello again! Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? I've always had the kindest help on the TechGuy forums, and I would be so thankful if someone could at least either tell me how I can delete my account or if I should stop panicking (or less good news), anything would be really useful to go on! Thanks again

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not much we can do, if you want the content and account deleted you must do it on that site. Have you tried using a different browser to see if you get different options of behavior? Otherwise you'll need to contact that site. or you can just stop using the site.

5. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

First of all, thanks so much for replying! I'm so sorry if I sounded like I was demanding a solution, I didn't mean to sound rude, I was just desperate for any assistance! My home crisis is not helping my level of anxiety and so I've been having a hard time dialing back my distress, so my apologies... I tried using a different browser as you recommended, and the same options (to login, register, or report abuse) remain, as does the inability to manage or interact with my uploaded images.

I will try a second email on the 'report abuse' option, as it's the only way to contact the site. I also am no longer using the site, but my panic resides in the fact that the account would still exist, still be 'out there' - is that panic unfounded or is it a consequence I have to accept as a mistake I made? If you have any thoughts on this I'd be so grateful, thanks again for the help.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The site says your files are kept until you delete them, so the site is either being untruthful or you may be doing wrong after you log in.

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

I may well be doing something wrong, I'm not sure! After logging in, I simply followed the instruction of 'Browse,' which you see, which allows me to select files and then 'upload' them. You have an option to 'abort' the upload operation while in progress, but once it's complete, you have to go to 'My Images' (which appears on the top menu only when you've logged in) where I can see all the images I've uploaded just fine, but the only way I can interact with them is to click on them, so that they open in a new tab, as JPGs, or with the image URL.

I don't know if it's worth noting, but I had also once uploaded an image by mistake while I was not logged in, and the website still allows you to do that, though you've no way of seeing it (I had to do it again once logged in), so I'm not sure what the 'hole' is there...

Would a screenshot of sorts help you see what I see when I'm logged in, do you think?

I just feel shaken, confused, and worried by this, not for the images themselves (they are non-sensitive and non-identifying, and so on), but by the seeming inauthenticity of the website and my inability to use it as advertised but also inability to delete my account when I wish to do so...

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I just created an account and I see no option to delete an image. Looks like you have to contact the site again and see if you get a response. Says it may take up to 48 hours. In the future I would use a more well known service such as IMGUR, DropBox, or OneDrive.

9. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

Rob, I will do as you say and try and contact the site again and see if they'll respond within the 48 hours this time. I know, I feel deeply terrible about not taking the time to research a more well-known service like IMGUR, or even remembering to use my DropBox account - in the panicked state I was I simply tried to search for image-sharing websites to use, and clearly made a bad decision, one I wouldn't have otherwise made...

I know you can't answer for sure or anything, but do you think there's any 'risk,' should the site not respond, in the fact that my account will remain, even when I've stopped using it?

EDIT: I just made my request to have the account deleted on the 'report abuse' option, pending 48 hours...

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's no real risk, the site only has your email address and the password you set when you joined. Hopefully you are not re-using passwords as that's the only risk. Unless of course you uploaded something private that no one should see.

11. NSTurtle

NSTurtle Thread Starter

No, none of the uploaded material is private, it's all non-sensitive, non-identifying stuff and so on, it's just the email address and password... I did use the password for a few other websites I use, but I am changing those right now, and will take your answer and try and breathe for a moment, and remember that whether or not I get a response in 48 hours I shouldn't let my panic compromise my online behaviour again. Thanks for taking the time to help, and for being so patient with me, too, it means a lot...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice