1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to delete windows media video file

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by phil123, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phil123

phil123 Thread Starter

i have downloaded this file from the internet and when i try to delete it will not. when i right click on it, it only shows few choices:play, queue it up, add to playlist,copy to cd, open with and send to. It has no option to delete. I select it and press the delete key but nothing happens. also i select it and press the delete all items button on the left of the screen. also when i try and rename it, it just goes 'bong' (i think its the windows stop sound) and does nothing. when i try to delete the folder that also does not work. any ideas how i can delete it? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

PS i am running windows xp home.

2. mimo2005

mimo2005

have you tried to drag and drop in recycle bin ? have you tried to scan it with your antivirus to see if it s a clean file ?usually when you righ click on any file ,there s an option scan with antivirus ,did you do that ?

3. phil123

phil123 Thread Starter

there is no option to delete and it will not drag and drop to recycle bin. there is no option to scan file but when the folder is scanned it says it is clean but it says it contains over 200 files. But that is the only one.

4. mimo2005

mimo2005

i need to know the whole name of that file ,at the end does it say mpeg ,avi or dat ,or what ???

5. phil123

phil123 Thread Starter

its .wmv (aka windows media audio/video file)

6. mimo2005

mimo2005

make sure any media player closed ,if your player is ON , and you try to delete it ,it ll tell you that s not possible because the file is busy taken by another program ,one more thing ,if this file is inside some p2p program ,it s better to delete it from inside that program ,because all those files are shared in that folder,someone is pumping it from your pc ,so you gotta wait until transfer finished .

7. phil123

phil123 Thread Starter

i uninstalled the program its was downloaded from and then reinstalled it. The file is not there any longer which appears to have solved the problem. Thanks mimo for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice