Unable to detect my wireless network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Glenn2349

Hey there, I just moved into a new apartment and I bought a usb wireless adapter so I could make use of the virgin media broadband. I've only ever used the internet on this computer via my ethernet connection.

I installed the network adapter with no problem (using the CD included in the box) and it appears in my device manager and is working correctly. However, when I look look at the available networks I can only find BT Openzone (it's a pay as you go service, I'm using it now to try and fix this ), and some random BTHomeHub. I should be able to see a lot more, including my Virgin Media network, but I can't.

It was the best 'Dongle'[?] in the store, so I'm guessing it's not an issue of proximity. I'm also certain that the network should be publicly visable. I'd be grateful if someone could suggest some possible fixes. I'll provide any further information you require.

Some things you will need to know:
ISP: Virgin Media
USB Wireless adapter: Belkin Play dual-band N600 F7D4101
I have used Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and it does not detect any networks other than the two I've mentioned.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\Documents and Settings\Glenn>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : glenn-una8nvz55
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F4-6D-04-09-B3-21

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Play Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-86-3B-0F-10-7B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.120.189.122
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.120.189.121
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.120.189.121
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.22.22
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:34:49 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:44:49 PM

H:\Documents and Settings\Glenn>

Thank you.

TerryNet

Terry
What is the brand and model of your router? Does it have a LED to indicate the wireless status? If so, what does it indicate?

Login and see what the wireless mode is set to.

Glenn2349

It's a netgear DG834G, I can't get too it at the moment to check the wireless mode. There's already 4 students here connected to it so it's not really an option to change any settings on it. What should I play around with at my end to try and get it working?

TerryNet

Terry
In addition to checking on the wireless mode make sure the SSID broadcast is enabled.

Glenn2349

Oh dear, I set my desk top up in the living room and I was able to find the network and use it fine. I don't understand how my range could be so limited. This USB wireless adapter was the best in the shop.

To help improve the range try re-locating the router to a more central posistion in the hosue if possible. at the very least put it high up in the room rather than on the floor.
Also if the walls are quite thick it reduces the range.

TerryNet

Terry
And be careful of the positioning of the adapter when you have your desktop in its preferred location. For example, if the PC itself is in the path between adapter's antenna and the router it will block the signal.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online