1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to detect wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jpmarques, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpmarques

jpmarques Thread Starter

Hi guys!

Today I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router to share my cable connection with my sister's laptop. I setup the router perfectly and she can detect and use the wireless connection!

My problem is that I want to use the wireless connection on my laptop too, and it won't detect it. It is really strange because we have both laptops side by side and we can detect our neighbours connections, but my laptop refuses to "find" the one I setup.

I've tried disabling WZC and using the software from Intel (my wireless adapter), but it wont work!

Could someone give me a hand!
    Thanks in advance

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter from your laptop manufacturer's web site. Try without any "turbo" or "speedboost" modes on the router. Also try with encryption disabled.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the make/model of the laptops, and what version of Windows do they run?

4. jpmarques

jpmarques Thread Starter

JWill: The one that is working is an Acer Aspire 4310 running Vista. My laptop is and Acer Aspire 1650 running XP, and my wireless adapter is an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 BG.

TerryNet: I have the latest firmware, and I tried the connection with no protection (previously I was using WPA2) and my laptop can detect it but can't connect. It keeps saying acquiring network adress and ends up with limited connectivity.

Thanks for your help guys!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That adapter does not support WPA2, so after you get it connected w/o encryption use WPA-PSK.

Do you have SP2 on the XP?

Are you using the Intel wireless utility (client) or Windows' WZC?

Have you used this laptop on other wireless networks successfully?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. jpmarques

jpmarques Thread Starter

Thank you so much Terry! I actually got it working without protection, but I didn't want to leave it "open" to other people, so what I did was enable mac filtering..and set it to only allow my sister's and my laptop to connect!!

Do you think this is enough protection? I know that MAC addresses can be spoofed, but I dont think my neighbours are dangerous hackers! :)

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

JP:I think that the general opinion here is that MAC filtering should be used as a last resort.It can cause more problems than solve.
    I would follow Terry's suggestion regarding WPA.That will certainly provide you with enough protection.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Agree 100% with pedroguy. I've used WPA-PSK with that Intel adapter for over 2 1/2 years so I know it supports that just fine. Just make sure you have the latest driver from your laptop's manufacturer.

And any adapter that supports WPA2 also supports WPA.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice