1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to detect workgroup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TAHOE3745, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TAHOE3745

TAHOE3745 Thread Starter

Just upgraded XP to Windows 7. Networking a Windows 7 laptop to a HP desktop which was XP (now Windows 7). Desktop sees laptop and files. Laptop cannot see desktop. When I change advance setting on desktop to allow others to see the drives on the desktop, it automatically reverts back and will not allow this change.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Can you ping by IP address both directions? By Computer (Host) name?

Side question: if these are the only computers on your network have you considered using Windows 7's Homegroup? I only have one Windows 7 so haven't tried it, but others have raved about how easy and nice it is.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Also you do have to turn on File and Printer Sharing for on both computers.

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Normally, Win7 will create a homegroup during setup, but you may have a situation where both computers have created a homegroup, or the network location on one or both computers may be set incorrectly. MS provides a troubleshooting guide that works for most common problems.

5. TAHOE3745

TAHOE3745 Thread Starter

The group name on both computers is the same. When I go to the advance settings and set the choices to discover networks, it reverts back when I save the setting.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891271