1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Unable to determine location of configuration files"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by silvercat, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvercat

silvercat Thread Starter

Problem with my 2nd computer running Win98SE:
    When I boot up, I get a red error box with "NAV auto protect" on the top of it. It reads "Unable to determine the location of the configuration files"
    I press enter (as in 'ok'). My password screen comes up and I enter my password and press enter.
    I get the blue desktop screen with no icons. A new error message from Explorer says "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." I click ok, and the blue screen remains with no icons.
    I can't find any reference to this error on symantec's support website or Microsoft's knowledge base.
    My 2nd computer with the problem is networked to my primary computer (which is fine).
    Can anyone please help me?

2. ohheck

ohheck

3. silvercat

silvercat Thread Starter

Yes, I saw that on Symantec. It's a similar error message, but the first time I saw it, it didn't click. Okay, thanks! So, I just now tried to follow the directions and uninstall NAV but I couldn't get to the control panel. Not even safe mode will give me icons, just another explorer error. :(

4. silvercat

silvercat Thread Starter

I came across a possible solution. "How to Manually Restore the win98/ME registry"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];221512
    That brought back my desktop with icons, but somehow screwed up my networking so now I have to figure out what went wrong with that. Until then, can't access the internet on the 2nd computer.
    I thought posting that link might help someone else with the same problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice