1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to download anything from web or email

Discussion in 'General Security' started by rubeckf, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Here I go again. This is something that has happened to my mother in law in GA. She keeps getting this about:blank that changes her home page. Now for a couple wks or more she can't download anything at all even from emails. It pops up and says her security settings won't let her. I have gone through her settings with her 2 times and we have them just like mine. I don't know what else to do. She has Bitdefender total security 2015, Superantispyware pro and the free edition of malwarebytes. She is running all 3 faithfully. I sent her a CD with the bitdefender thing that changed her home page back to what it was before. She says she doesn't open anything from anyone she doesn't know and the only place other than that she goes is to check the lottery everyday. Maybe someone has some suggestions since I am getting very frustrated with the whole thing. Since I don't have her computer here I am unable to send a log.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    yes, that is what was done. She couldn't download that and I had to send it to her on a CD in order to do even that.

4. Phantom010

So, the only problem remaining is the Internet Explorer security settings?

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    yes. She just emailed me that she was playing the Microsoft solitaire and got this message...bitdefender has blocked a threat accessed from dplaysvr.

6. Phantom010

I believe that computer is infected and she would need to start a thread in the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum about it.

7. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    They are coming over in a couple wks if I can get her to bring it. She would never be able to do any of that on her own.
    Thanks for the replies. I have been telling her that is what I think for a couple wks. I think she said she was going to bed, but I will follow up with her in the a.m. Thanks again!

8. Phantom010

As for the Internet Explorer security settings for downloads, are hers set like this?

[​IMG]

9. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    yes, her security settings are like that.

10. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    An update on my mother in laws computer. She is going to bring it when they come the first wk of Feb. I have a laptop here that I am going to fix up for her to take home and I will try and get her desktop one cleaned up by keeping it. I will start a new thread in anti malware. Thanks for the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!