1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Enter BIOS Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jjr1519, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I was upgrading a friend's Computer with a new CDRW ( Liteon52/24/52 and 128 Meg SDRAM. The Computer is an old Gateway, Pentium 433Mhz. I hooked everything up and then it started happening !
    I started getting a weird error about " WIndows is not in good configuration" and so on. I checked all the connections, and everything is good. I have the Hard drive on Primary Master, CDRW on Secondary master and CD-ROM on Sec. Slave.
    I disconnected everything and tried to put it back the way it was, but now I can't even access BIOS ! I keep hitting F1 and I see it blinking at the bottom " Entering set up" and then I get a long beep and then two short ones and a display on the screen :
    " B: Error". I know that F1 is for entering BIOS because I entered it prior to install to see what the configuration was.
    I tried to boot with a start up disk, and I get the same error," B: boot error, hit F1 to resume". If I do that then I am able to get to the set up screen, but if I try to access C:\ it tells me that " This program has caused a device flow error, please contact system vendor". I tried to boot with just the floppy and hard drive with the same result.
    OS: Windows 98, BIOS Chip : Intel/AMI ? Hard drive: Quantum Fireball 13GB. Onboard LAN, Graphics and Sound

Please help before I have to replace this computer...
    Thanks in advance

2. Dark Clown

Dark Clown

push delete to enter bios

3. zeddy

zeddy

A long bleep and two short ones may mean that you have knocked a card inside (possibly the video card) when fiddling inside the case.

Check the video is inserted fully and also check the memory is fully seated.

When you popped in the new CDRWriter did you change any of the other device cabling?

Double check that the cables are the right way around and that you have not accidently damaged any pins.

Ensure that the CDRW and CD drives jumpers (on the back of the drives) are set properly.

Check that all the power cables are connected properly.

4. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply:
    I have onboard Video and Onboard Audio. I looked at the pins and they are not damages. I can get into MSDOS. Do you think that I should flash BIOS. I went to Gateway's website and they told me to download latest BIOS and flash it. However, I tried that and the floppy keeps spinning, it won't read/copy any files. I am going to try to take the hard drive out and try to format it through Partition Magic and put it back. Because, the DOs commands will let me get up to the part where you can do" format C, but then it tells me that no fixed drives present.
    Thanks

5. zeddy

zeddy

Wait!!!!! Don't act too hastily. Try to think methodically.

Dont flash the bios unless you really know what you are doing! You could end up ruining your motherboard.

Dont format the hard drive yet - it was working OK before the CDRW install right? so why reformat it?

Try swiching off, take out the CMOS battery (cell like battery on the motherboard) from the motherboard for a few minutes and then replace it and try booting into the bios then.

6. dai

dai

go to
    www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes and look up what the computer is telling is wrong
    ami= a fault was encoutered in the video bios rom,or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered

7. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I have been frustrated with this system for three days now, and If I can't fix it , then I would have to hunt for a Micro ATX MOBO and Processor and so on. I feel responsible for this and I have to fix this one way or other. I will try to remove the CMOS battery and reply back.
    Zeddy you are awesome ! I have been reading your posts , Thank you for being here for people like me :>)

8. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I took the battery out for about 10 mins and put it back, I got the same error. I took the hard drive out and put it in my computer and it works fine. I copied all the files I needed and formatted it and put it back in the system, and no changes. I am still getting " B: Drive Error press F1 to resume. When I do this I get the same error that I discussed earlier.
    I tried to boot from a floppy( WIndows 98) and it cannot detect a hard drive. It keeps telling me no fixed drive present.
    I guess my options are to try to flash BIOS. So, I have a question, should I copy the Flash utility and Afash.exe to the start up disk?. Please explain.
    Once again, thanks for all the help for a rookie

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Aflash is the flash utility. The bios update you have to get from gateway. Yes it should be run from a floppy. But why?

All you need to do is get into the bios and tell it there is no B: drive and have it autodetect the HD.

Common keys to enter bios: F1, F2, DEL, F10, CTRL and ALT and ESC, INS. You can also use the ESC or TAB keys to clear the Gateway logo. Holding down the ESC key while powering it up and it booting will sometimes bring up an error and tell you the key to enter the bios.

Are you making sure that the drive is jumper as Master and not something else - new computers don't care so much about the jumper as do older ones. Make sure that both ends of the ide cable are hook up correctly - red strip to pin 1 and toward the power cable on the Harddrive.

10. hammerbill

hammerbill

Did you run Fdisk on the hard drive or something? You get that message when you have no partition.
    You don't need partition magic to put in a partition, dos will do just fine. But I like PM too-one of my favorites.
    There is a small chance a virus is hiding your boot sector and messing up your drive. Another chance is that the drive is going bad. Or cables might be seated poorly or a wire is faulty.
    Why don't you go to the Maxtor site and download their latest version of MAXBLAST or POWERMAX and make the floppy disc as per the instructions. Run the diagnostics. You can also do a low level format with the program, which takes quite a while, afterwards you make new partitions and then format them regular style if you want to go to that extent for some reason. The newest version of POWERMAX will recognise quantum HDD's which Maxtor now sells and supports.
    Oops. You say your floppy doesn't work. Hmm. Did you by any chance reverse the floppy ribbon cable? 99% of floppy drives have the red ground plug on the side nearest the power conductor. I wonder if that program could be burned to a bootable cdrom.
    As far as flashing the board is concerned, I think that you would be going in the wrong direction doing that at this time. It probably wouldn't hurt, but unless the bios update is described so as to fix your specific problem or your current bios is a little corrupt, it just wastes your time for now. Have you hunted down the clear cmos jumper? Try that instead. A reset cmos might activate your floppy if it is set up right and might even fix other things.

11. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Good Morning,
    My floppy does work.
    Using Command Prompt, I was able to do a chkdsk C
    This is what I have:
    1,457,664 bytes total space
    916,992 bytes of 13 user files
    540,672 bytes available
    512 bytes allocation unit
    2847 total allocation units in disk
    1056 available location
    655,360 total bytes of memory
    529,328 bytes free
    I tried scandisk c and it is running so fast, I can't see the progress, but at the end it tells me that I don't have any problems
    But, when I try D: setup.exe, it tells me unable to to create a temporary directory, us MS DOS to create a partition!
    When I try FDISK, it tells me no fixed drives present.
    I know that this hard drive workd, because I successfully booted it on my other computer and copied some files off and formatted it using Windows format ( right click on the drive and format)
    I am beginning to wonder if this is an IDE connector problem ( the one on the motherboard)
    Any siggestions?

12. jjr1519

jjr1519 Thread Starter

Oh, one more thing, for some strange reason, I still can't get to BIOS Setup!
    I get " B: Drive Error , hit F1 to resume. I tried all the keys on the Keyboard, even though I know that it is F1 to enter set up. I held the ESC and DEl Key down during bootup, I see the Entering set up flashing in the bottom, but then it goes right back to the error.
    I am getting one one long beep and two short beeps after that. I have on board Audio and Video , so I hope that it is not a video problem.

13. sorrento5

sorrento5

start all over again setting up your machine you have nothing to lose in this situation (just be careful to unplug your machine while working on it)

when you restart the process, be sure to check tha there are no wires hanging that you dont know what they are used for

in some systems if you leave a mobo wire disconnected... the system doesnt startup (it beeps ... sound familiar ?) and does not start up correctly

You should also research with the mobo manufacturer what the beep code is so that you can trace the problem

I would try to set the machine up as it was originally ... (before you replaced the cd rom and see if you can get it to start normally
    if so that great

then investigate the jumper settings on the CD rom and other drives if the jumpers are not set right I think that the system would have problems starting if there are conflicts

good luck

14. srhoades

srhoades

if the BIOS was corrupted, then it might have screwed up the drive geomotry when it had to re-detect the hard drive. I have had this happpen to me. Either that or the BIOS is looking for a particular drive geomotry from an auto setting and it might have defaulted to user.

15. dai

dai

well the beep codes tell you it is video borrow a card and put it in and see what happens

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice