1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to enter BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pauloc59, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauloc59

pauloc59 Thread Starter

Any help will be appreciated as i have totally messed up my PC (win xp home sp2)
    I intended to re install windows on my c drive as a fresh installation to format my hard drive .
    I pressed the delete key and entered the BIOS to set it to boot from CD and tried to install windows. It wouldn't boot from CD so i stupidly went ahead and installed win xp home anyway. It installed a a partition on my c drive still leaving the original files intact. Now when i start my pc i get a choice of 2 windows xp installations but the arrow keys on the keyboard do not move. 30 seconds countdown and widows opens in the new partition.
    pressing delete now does not work so i cannot get into the BIOS.
    I would still like to format my pc.
    i now have 6 floppy disks to boot from floppy but i can't get into the the BIOS to set it to boot from floppy disk.
    Help please!!

2. xionous

xionous

if you are able to boot from your floppy i would say get a MSDOS boot disk with that you chould be able to get to a command promt and use Fdisk to delete the partitions and remake one to use for new install, also note if you use fdisk to delete and remake partitions you need to do a format c: at the prompt so you can use the partition also the windows xp installer should have a format system with it if you can boot from that install cd you can delete the partitions from there as well when you choose what partition you want there should be an option to delete them as well.

i hope this information is helpful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!