1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to extend unallocated space into windows partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by georgeoshardo, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. georgeoshardo

georgeoshardo Thread Starter

So I booted into GParted, and shrunk my Ubuntu partition by 100gb today, in the hopes that I would be able to extend my Windows partition. However GParted won't let me extend this unallocated space into my Windows partition. I booted into Windows, and still no luck, I tried EASEUS partition manager, which didn't work. So I shrunk my current Windows partition (within windows) by about 1gig to check if I could re extend it. And what I found was that the new unallocated space seemed to be separate from the 100gb unallocated space, they wouldn't merge. But I was able to re extend that 1gig back to the Windows partition.
    So does any one have any idea how I can extend this 100gb of unallocated space into my windows partition?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To extend the partition you must have the unallocated space directly after the partition you wish to expand. If that is not the case then you must first move the other partition so that the unallocated becomes adjacent to the partition you wish to expand.

3. saikee

saikee

Bearing in mind if you ever move the position of an installed OS you screw up it hard disk location and so it will not boot without a fix. A boot loader controlling the MBR fires up its second stage by loading the code according to the hard dish address it keeps during installation.

4. georgeoshardo

Thanks yeah, I re expanded the ubuntu partition and re shrunk it from BEHIND, so that the free space was directly beneath the Windows partition, at the moment it's moving, which takes a hell of a long time, 5 hours it says! Any words on the fix? I know I could boot into a system repair disk for windows and FIXMBR, but how would I get GRUB back?

5. saikee

saikee

As a rule a boot loader can be fixed by the OS installation CD. In Linux you can use any Live CD that has Grub2 inside.

Say you LInux is in the 2nd partition of the first disk known to GRub2 as (hd0,2) (Grub2 counts disk from zero and partition from one same as MS Windows) then this line in a Terminal will restore it.
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda2
    mount /dev/sda2  /mnt/sda2
    sudo grub-install --rootdirectory=/mnt/sda2  /dev/sda

6. georgeoshardo

No worries my friend, it didn't muck up the MBR, booted totally normally.

Thanks though :p

7. DVOM

DVOM

If you could post a screen shot of GParted showing the drive and partitions that would make it easier to see exactly what you've got.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice