1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to find server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jssch, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I work on my employers website at work.

I am on a laptop away from work and cannot bring up the webpage I just worked on at work.

I know that the server is not down.

Is this a browser security problem?

Any ideas?

2. Monk_

Monk_

Can you access other websites from your laptop? If so does your work website have a DNS entry either with your ISP/Webhost or your local DNS server?

3. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I can hook my laptop to the server at work and bring up the website, but when I am on my laptop via a dial-up provider in a hotel, etc. I cannot bring it up.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you know the IP address, as opposed to the Domain Name, try entering that directly in the address bar.

Also look for a HOSTS file with no extension (not HOSTS.sam). If you find one in Windows, try renaming it Ghosts for a test. It might contain a bad IP for the Domain Name. You can also open it in Notepad to check it out. I'm not sure whether this file would be bypassed if present when connecting through your server at work.

Also if you have alternate access numbers you can try, that sometimes can make a difference.

5. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I have tried several access numbers to no avail.

I did find a HOSTS file in windows but under file description is says SAM file although it doesnt show an extension.

Is this what your talking about?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The sam file is not active, so if that's the only one, you can rule it out.

On your work computer, see if you can find the IP address by opening a DOS prompt and pinging the Domain Name, eg:

ping www.yahoo.com

You should get an IP that can be entered in an Address bar.

Also, from the laptop try doing a trace (from a DOS prompt), eg:

tracert www.yahoo.com

If the Domain Name is resolved, the trace should show an end point where it can no longer be routed. Could provide useful info for reporting to your ISP, they may have some advice.

You also might want to talk to any "system administrator" you can at work. The IP may be a part of a network which is protected by a firewall from outside access.

7. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Ok I hook my laptop to server, no problem.

I hook my laptop to phone line in my office and bring up my dial-up ISP.

Cannot find server.

Ran the trace it says

"Tracing route to gemini.bluefield.edu [208.11.226.6]
    over a maximun of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out

and then repeats this for all 30.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well based on that trace, you're not even reaching your ISPs first router. Is this problem happening only with that particular site, because if you can't reach the first hop, it shouldn't matter what the ultimate address is.

The IP address resolves correctly. I can reach the Bluefield College site (that's what you want, right?), so it's not protected.

http://208.11.226.6/

Are you sure your laptop is correctly configured, not trying to connect through a proxy server?

Here is a basic checklist for a standard dialup connection. You might want to review your settings against it and see what is different.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52476&highlight=dialup

9. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

It may cause problems with other sites, but I can bring up Yahoo, MSN Gaming zone with no problem. Usually, when I use my laptop to dialup, it is for checking my network email away from the office, which I cannot do now.

Two things I noticed that differ from the link help

I had two things checked under Bindings: Client for MS Networks and MS Family Logon

Something tells me that they are on there because I have an ethernet card and can hook up to the server directly to my laptop.

Second things that differed: Under NetBios it said I should not have the "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" box checked.

Mine is and it does not allow me to change it.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Client for Microsoft Networks and Family Logon would not affect this. I'm not sure about the NetBios protocol. Is TCP/IP installed in the Control Panel>Network Applet? NetBios may be necesary for your ethernet card if it is required for your office hookup. But it is not used in a standard, non-networked, 56k dialup.

In Internet Options>Connections, under the Proxy Server options, is "access through a proxy" checked? I would think when using the workplace server, it would be checked, but should not be otherwise.

11. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I have 2 TCP/IP options under control panel>network

TCP/IP-> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA (3C589D)

TCP/IP-> Dial-Up Adapter

NO, the "Use proxy server" option under connections is not checked.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure what you are seeing there, but for TCP/IP you should have a separate entry such as shown in the attachment.

If it's not there, that would explain not having a checkable option under Dialup Adapter>Properties>Bindings.

I would add it if it is absent.

I think what you have may be similar to the setup for TCP/IP - 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA here...

http://www.gci.net/index.cfm?FuseAction=ViewPage&Document=CABLEMODEM.niccard.win95

But I would add it as a separate protocol and ensure it is checked under Dialup Adapter>Properties>Bindings

Attached Files:

13. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Dial-up Provider being no help at all.

Here is exactly word for word what I have listed under the Network Configuration tab.

Client for Microsoft Networks
    Microsoft Family Logon
    3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA (3C589D)
    Dial-up Adapter
    NetBEUI-> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA (3C589D)
    NetBEUI-> Dial-Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA (3C589D)
    TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter

Do I have the ability to take a picture as you did on the attachment? If so maybe you could see better.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I'm running out of ideas jssch. It does seem like you have TCP/IP fully installed. The problem does not seem to be one of DNS resolution since you are obtaining the correct IP address and cannot connect by using that directly either (you've tried entering in an address bar, right?)

There are other issues here with which I'm not really familiar regarding networking configurations. One thing I would look further at is whether there are any "gateway" entries in either the NetBeui or TCP/IP properties, and confirm that "use default gateway" is selected in My Computer>Dialup Networking properties

By the way to post a screen shot of a dialog window, you can click alt+print screen, copy it to MSPaint and save it as a jpeg or gif, then upload it as an attachment. If your MSPaint will not save as a jpeg or gif, you can use another utility to capture and save windows, such as Irfanview

http://www.irfanview.com/

15. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

jssch,

Try THIS link. Pay particular attention to the IPX/SPX link toward the bottom of the page. Hope this helps. KW1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice