1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to format D: Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by g3rbil, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. g3rbil

g3rbil Thread Starter

Hey guys (and girls)
    Ive just installed Win7 Ultimate (86bit) and i got it on my C: Drive
    now i want to format the D: Drive but it shows an error:
    [​IMG]

2. g3rbil

g3rbil Thread Starter

ah and i forgot to mantion - i had win XP installed on my D: Drive
    which is my primery drive - i guess it can be the reason for the issue

3. antech

antech Banned

So,is the issue solved by you yourself?
    If so, then please mark it a s solved

4. itsmeitsyou

itsmeitsyou

In windows 7 D drive is always off by Default

5. hi-tech

hi-tech

Boot into Win 7 Log in as administrator
    Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
    Select "Disk Management" > rt Click C:
    Select "Mark Partition as Active"
    Restart and try to format again:)
    Just for info dual boot can often be very helpful :)

6. zorbeyyy58

zorbeyyy58

Probably got bad sectors on your disc, or you need to poulate your disc is disk administrator ------ Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > Then set partition on C drive.

7. saikee

saikee

Something isn't quite right here.

Win7, same as Vista booted by bootmgr, always calls its residiing partition as the "C" drive whereas those booted by NTLDR are rigidly adhering to the drive designation during the time they were installed. I have a Xp installed in a D drive. I managed to removed the C drive and got it booted up in a D drive when it is the only partition in the hard disk. As for my Vista-64 bit, WIn7-32 and Win7-64 each always boot to its own partition as the "C" drive.

Thus if Xp is booted say in D then there must be a C drive housing its boot loader NTLDR. It could actually be the C drive when Xp is run and then reassigned as D when Win7 is running.

Win7 can be installed in any primary or logical partition later but it always places its boot loader in the first partition recognised by M$ which is the "C" drive. However after booting up it will reassign the drives.

I would be very careful to nuke the Xp partition as it might be where Win7 boot loader bootmgr and the BCD entries are stored.

If a user has xp installed first and put Win7 in later. The newer Win7 boot loader "bootmgr" cannot boot Xp directly. It can only boot NTLDR and let NTLDR boot up its master Xp. All the boot loaders are arranged in the first partition recognised by the M$ systems. Each M$ system must be housed separately in their own partition.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice