1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to get boot menu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by twinkle1609, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twinkle1609

twinkle1609 Thread Starter

i installed ubuntu successfully but while i am starting my laptop ,it automatically starts with windows it is not giving options for choice between ubuntu and windows 10.So what should be changes to be made?i have lenevo ideapad320

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, tell us about those installations (same or different disks) and if you installed GRUB2 and where.

3. wbennett77

wbennett77

Try going into your bios and put Ubuntu as your first boot drive.

4. mohittomar13

mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    When you install Ubuntu alongside other operating system e.g. windows the GRUB (Grand Unified Boot Loader) is automatically installed and configured. In your case it seems either the GRUB was not installed or is broken. You need to first boot into Ubuntu and check if grub is correctly installed and configured.

To boot ubuntu you can do the following:
    While the system is booting and still showing the logo hold down the shift key on the keyboard (sometimes this doesn't work and you need to hold down SPACE or ESC). This will show the GRUB menu select Ubuntu and press enter.

If the above doen't work and if you couldn't get a GRUB menu then that could mean a broken GRUB and you might need to reinstall GRUB following the steps given here.

If the above works and you get the GRUB menu then sometimes just updating grub fixes the problem. Updating the grub is very simple. Type the following command in your terminal and execute.

"sudo update-grub"

The above command will regenerate the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file based on the files contained in /etc/grub.d and the configurations saved in the file /etc/default/grub

I hope this helps

NOTE: Before you follow any of the solutions given here please make sure you have all the important data backed up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice