1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to get File History to turn on

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryrhino, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

Hello,
    Windows 8.1 64 bit operating system. I don't have a Microsoft account.
    I have two different external drives. I am unable to get file history to turn on with either drive. I have done a web search and have seen that others have this same issue. Is this an issue with file history? I am able to view files/folders on my external drives. I have tried different USB ports and I get the same results. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

I am puzzled by your Screenshot. When you start File History you should see a window with 5 options running down the upper-left side of the window as follows -

Control Panel
    Restore personal files
    Select drive
    Exclude folders
    Advanced settings

But your Screenshot does not show these options. Can you please advise.

T.

3. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

Those items are on the screen I didn't include them on my screenshot.
    I don't have any libraries on the drive. The items currently on the drive are a system back up and a file history folder.
    I turned on file history through adminstrator tools and servies. When I do not have the services window open file history does not stay on.
    I found in windows explorer a folder on my external called file history but all the files in that folder are empty.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

When you were at the File History window did you click on "Select Drive" from the list at the left..?

T.

5. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

With the exteral plugged into the pc the screen shots will show what happened when I went to file history. The same issue happens no matter what usb port is used.

Attached Files:

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Are you able to try something else just to test..?

For example, if your computer has an SD slot and you have an empty SD disk, plug the SD disk into the SD slot and then try to get File History to use the SD disk to store the history files.

If that works then you know that there is nothing wrong with the File History utility but that the problem lies with the disk that you are attempting to use to store the history files.

T.

7. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

I tried to use file history with a flash drive and was unable to turn file history on.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

Yes.... but that is not the same as using an SD card. The Flash Drive is also USB and the problem may be related to USB and not to File History. The SD drive uses different protocols to USB, so it is worth a try.

For your information..... I have always used File History on all my personal W8.1 computers and strongly recommend the technology to all my W8.1 clients. I have not experienced a problem with File History itself. When problems do occur they have ALWAYS been with the media to which File History is writing. For example, a Library component is being written to the same media as File History.

T.

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is the start type
    for File History please

If it is not manual
    Make it manual on the drop arrow
    then start it

Come out of services by closing the window
    go control panel
    File History

see if it will allow you to turn file history ON from there

If it will go back to services and you should now see that start type has changed to automatic delayed start

10. Tabvla

Tabvla

Could you please advise as to whether my learned colleague Macboatmaster and I are addressing the same or 2 separate issues..?

1. The issue that Macboatmaster is addressing is "....When I do not have the services window open file history does not stay on...." Post #3.

2. The issue that I am addressing is the Screenshot in Post #5 which says "..... No usable drives were found ....."

T.

11. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help.
    I was able to get file history turned on using http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
    Not sure why that worked glad it did.

File history does not run if there are no changes to the files. Is that correct?
    What is the difference in using file history and software such as FBackup?
    Which on is more reliable if files need to be restored?
    Thanks.

12. Macboatmaster

It - windows repair all in one - is a good program and we use it quite a lot
    HOWEVER although I am of course pleased it worked IMHO you would have been better advised staying on the topic and trying what was suggested here and what I would have suggested if you replied that my first one did not work

The causation of the problem is not now known

Frequently the problem you had is caused by the use of 3rd party tools, especially system tweakers, registry cleaners and indeed 3 rd party defragggers which because of the nature of the windows 8 file system can actually cause fragmentation rather than defrag and may even damage the file system

File History only backs up certain files
    File History only backs up copies of files that are in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can add them to one of these folders.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

What you want to ensure you can recover to as is NOW is a system image on an external drive and a recovery drive on a usb flash pen

see file history in control panel
    then on lower left of that page see
    system image and recovery

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  13. Tabvla

Tabvla

The following should be viewed as in addition to the information provided by my colleague Macboatmaster.

File History will also save files in the "Libraries" folder. Therefore if (as Macboatmaster suggested) you wish to save files that are not in the default File History folders you can create a folder with those files and then associate that folder with an existing Library or create a new Library.

You asked ".....What is the difference in using file history and software such as FBackup?...."

File History works differently to normal backup software.

Firstly, regular backup software normally compresses files and saves them in an application-specific format. Typically this implies that you would restore those files using the same backup application that created the backup. File History saves the files in exactly the same format as they are on the disk and therefore they do not need to be "restored". For all practical purposes File History is more synonymous with "Copy" rather than "Backup".

Secondly, regular backup software creates a one-off backup of the Folders and Files that are being backed-up. File History saves the entire file every time the file changes. Therefore, if for example, you wanted to review a file as it was 10 days ago then, with File History, you simply go to the file on the required date at the time and open that version of the file. This can be very useful in many circumstances.

T.

14. Macboatmaster

I agree as I posted

and of course as explained on the link I attached.

However good confirmation

Re FBackup
    http://www.fbackup.com/about-us.php

It is NOT software that I would recommend
    look at the contact details and the method of obtaining support - I tend to think and it is ONLY my opinion that help if you encounter problems may not be too forthcoming.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice