1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to get modem going in a pc with a 3Com NIC installed....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webzter, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

(Prdoct Dell optiplex P3 GX-1, Agere v90 modem/soft, 3Com NIC, OS-Windows 2000 Pro))
    _______________ ______________________

Hi;

Have had a successfully operating 3Com NIC used in conjunction with a DSL connection... added a modem above and added a dial-up acct for back-up when DSL goes out....

PROBLEM is... despite having performed what's indicated as a successful modem install, the pc (or me!) doesnt seem to want to allow the Modem to "replace" the NIC and it wont budge-

checked everything from "network and dialup connections" under
    "local area connections" (where at the top/properties the 3com still comes up where i believe the modem should now reside if it were inline for getting the pc online but its still the NIC-) to "System Props"/"Device Mgr" to varify modem has been properly seated- even checked to see if under the "sound, video game controlers" that "Duplex Audio" function was enabled because the modem is "voice capable"-

out of these various areas i'm least confident about info listed under local area connection props where there are 7 boxes checked off where i would have thought only tcp/ip would be one and something like "Logon for microsoft windows" or something but all there is that's even close is "client for MS network" plus 5 or so other boxes all market with a tick from Apple related function to something about Bios, printer file sharing etc- thing more relating to an obvious dsl connection- not a dial-up connection

Regretably its been so long since ive used an analog modem i cant recall how to make certain it takes president over the dsl/nic connection-

would certainly appreciate an assit with this- thanks for any help in advance-
    regards

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In the control panel, under modems, can you see the modem is able to communicate?

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

(hi...appreciate your interest...bear with me if you will- it might take a bit to check- many thanks!)

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

AcaCandy, Hi.....
    Regret the delay, was away from the pc and unable to verify an answer to you question re "communications between pc and modem".....appreciate your patience...

As for communications, the modem "is", but instead of going about the fix as described above, i removed the modem and reinstalled it plug n' play went right to it). Was told a file was missing, put the disk in that came with product, successfully reinstalled file and restarted.

was left with the following messages after reboot;

1.) ..."digital signature missing"....

2.) ...."modem cannot be initialized"....

(also noticed where com 3 normally created and occupied by modem, its not listed as of yet under device mgr"/"Ports"....)

hope this helps-

apologize again for the delay appreciate your interest!
    Webz

5. ~Candy~

Com 3 won't show in the device manager. That's ok.

You get this message upon starting the computer? Does the modem appear in device manager without an exclamation mark?

Can you post your IRQ listing.

Start, run, msinfo32 and ok...hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

6. ~Candy~

Signature Checking
    Signature Checking can be enabled by system administrators to ensure that Windows 2000 inspects files for digital signatures whenever drivers are installed.

Signature Checking has three levels:

Level 0 disables digital signature checking. The dialog box that identifies a digitally signed driver does not appear, and all drivers are installed whether they are signed or not.

Level 1 determines whether the driver has passed WHQL testing. A message appears whenever a user tries to install a driver that fails the signature check.

Level 2 blocks installation of a driver that fails the signature check. The user is notified that the driver cannot be installed because it is not digitally signed.

Also found this, I'm not that familiar with 2K, but do you have digital signature checking set to the highest level?????

7. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

you've given me some "homework", so bear with me! (FYI....have previously installed same MO in same machine without any incident- dont know why the desparity now- "i'll be back"!thanks!)

8. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Regret the delay...VIRUS (corrected) had taken-out my other pc and had to perform a major restoration...as for modem (analog an its inability to get a connection....

have noticed the association- presume due to its design- SOFT-
    between Duplex audio chip in Audio-Video-Game Controllers (Sys Prop) and modem function incl Voice Mail....when the Duplex chip is enabled/disable its allowed the modem to connect on two occasions...

THINGS CHECKED...
    SIGNATURE- only appeared once during mo re-installation
    INITIALIZATION- when ISP is contacted and failed...."attempting to initialize modem:...and doesn't
    IS MODEM "SPEAKING" WITH PC (looking at the control panel/modems)- YES
    IRQ's...
    no conflict, modem #10/no sharing, dsl 3Com #11

Again, duplex chip is affecting/contributing to problem somehow(listen to me- as if i'm qualified to make this judgment call)

other....have reinstalled modem, defeated NIC,, etc

Many thanks again for the look!
    webz

9. ~Candy~

Ok, let's get a listing of your complete IRQs. You can save it to a notepad file, transfer to floppy, then come back and paste it, or you can type it all the long way ;)

10. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Will do- Thank You!

11. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

(GOTTA DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE TIME GAPS....I KNOW IT SEEMS AS IF IT TAKES UPWARDS OF 24 HOURS TO RESPOND, BUT BY THE TIME I INPUT MY INQUIRY AND YOU ALL ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO COME BACK WITH A NEXT STEP- I'M OUTTA HERE AND CANT GET YOU AN ANSWER UNTIL I RETURN!)

ANYWAY............IRQ'S as follows;

IRQ NUMBER DEVICE

11 ATI TECHNOLOGIES 3D RAGE PR..
    11 INTEL 82371 AB/EB PCI TO USB UNIVER...
    5 CHRYSTAL WDM AUDIO CODEC
    14 PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL
    15 SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL
    10 AGERE SYSTEMS PCI SOFT MODEM
    01 PC/AT ENHANCED PS/2 KEYBOARD (10...
    04 COMMUNICATIONS PORT (COM 1)
    03 COMMUNICATIONS PORT (COM 2)
    06 STANDARD FLOPPY DISK CONTROLLER
    08 SYSTEM CMOS/REALTIME CLOCK
    13 NUMERIC DATA PROCESSOR
    12 MICROSOFT PS/2 MOUSE

Many thanks as always for the help- hope there's something here (fyi... un/re installed mo again with same rersults-
    WEBZ

12. ~Candy~

Can you go into the control panel, networking, and look to be sure there is a TCP/IP for dial up. If not, add one.

13. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

thanks for replying!

as for tcp/ip- let me clarify- if i were to look "local area connections"......"components used by connection" (with boxes
    marked/unmarked adjacent)- yes, there IS a tcp/ip in the list of about perhaps 7 other "components"-

(curiosity question...should there be two tcp/ip's- one each for 3Com (NIC) and for dial-up?)

14. ~Candy~

Yes, I believe so. Let me reboot to my 98 system, I don't have a modem installed thru XP to double check those settings.

15. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

if that's the case...im not all that certain which is which because in one pc (the one i'm using) - i run dsl- the other dial-up, so ive never had the occasion to have the two sitting on the same machine together, either!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice