1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved unable to ID/quash rogue "svchost" process

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by slabm, Aug 30, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. slabm

slabm Thread Starter

I was watching and I saw BitDefender do that part strictly by the book, using the provided uninstaller or (if necessary) the Windows utility. I have every confidence.

snuffleufflegus likes this.
  2. slabm

slabm Thread Starter

Okay ... movement. The rogue process was Windows Update, I am quite certain. Here's what has occurred.

I felt I had reason to uninstall Bitdefender. I wasn't going to buy it anyway. Then my "Security Center" gave me the same old tired warnings, among them the admonition that automatic updates was disabled. But that's unremarkable since my OS Vista is no longer served by that. But I foolishly might have clicked on "Turn it on" and it started the Windows Update search for updates. Well I know from bitter experience that that process will just hang and hang so I forced it to close (um, if I remember precisely and I'm not sure). Anyway, I then immediately noticed the rogue process hogging my system. I ran process explorer, as advised here to do, but found it extremely confusing. I could immediately home in on the hog process alright but when I hovered the pointer there it listed A DOZEN OR MORE services associated! But when I saw Windows Update on that long list, I figured that was the problem child. So I Stopped Windows Update and yo, it seemed to free me from the resource-hogging parasite. So I disabled Windows Update in MSCONFIG and rebooted. Now the rogue process no longer rears its ugly head. Of course, you guys admonished me NOT to employ MSCONFIG to stifle a Service, but I know no alternative means. Sure, advise me further if you feel it important. Else this issue remains "solved". And my hearty thanks!

3. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195543